bottling 1/2 Kegging 1/2 batch.. Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
Im the only beer drinker in my house,, monthly i might have a few friends over that drink beer.

I'm brewing twice monthly at this point, 5.25 gal batches, bottling 48-53 per bottling day.

I want to start kegging ....Will still condition after fermenting but looking to cut short some of the carbing time.

If I prime in the bottling bucket, bottle half and keg the rest..... what is likely the result of the 2.5 gal beer in the keg with priming sugar and now at 40 psi CO2 for a few days at 40 deg?

Or do I rack 1/2 the batch first into the keg, then the rest in the bottling bucket (with an appropriate amount of priming sugar for the remaining batch size?)

I have been bottling off of a keg the last few months and it is awesome.

I would refer to Biermuncher's sticky about bottling from a keg.

Another option is Coopers Carbonation Drops. They are basically priming sugar candies that you drop into the bottle after its filled. 1 drop for a 12 oz bottle, 2 for a 22. That way you can just carbonate as you need. They are available at homebrew shops or online.

I usually keg 4 gallons and bottle 1.5 gallons from each batch. I only prime the 1.5 gal in the bottle bucket. I've been interested in bottling from the keg, but I haven't gotten around to buying the stuff for the DIY bottle gun.

Back