Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bluelight320

Reaction score
I am new to beer making and in fact, have never brewed beer (although I have done wine already).

My question is this.......I have a case of empty Yuengling Lager bottles that I'd like to use for brewing my first batch of beer. Would these bottles work or do I have to purchase different bottles?

Thanks,
Rich S.
Gettysburg, PA

Loup

Reaction score
I'm looking at some pictures of Yuengling, I can't tell if the cap is a twist-off or not. You do not want to use twist-offs. The lager appears to come in a clear bottle, brown would be better, but clear will work. You'll just want to keep it out of the light, otherwise your beer will turn skunky.

Loup

Reaction score
Just so you know what you're looking for in the future.

A regular wing capper can't apply caps to a twist-off bottle, I've heard a bench capper can but don't have any experience with one. Most people use a wing capper, so the general rule is don't use twist-offs.

Both clear and green bottles will let a lot of UV light through the bottle, UV light reacts with the hop oils causing your beer to take on a skunky flavor/smell. You can use clear or green bottles, just keep them in a dark place for storage.

Brown bottles block out most of the UV light so are good to use. I've seen debates on blue bottles, but have never seen a real consensus on them.

billtzk

Reaction score
You'll find that a a number of people use bottles with twist-off caps, but most of them will use a bench capper instead of a wing capper as Loup said. Personally, I avoid them mostly on the basis of aesthetics (I find them unattractive), but also because I use a wing capper and I'm paranoid about getting a good seal. It's a matter of preference.

Clear or green bottles are fine if you keep your beer out of the light. I use brown bottles mainly because they are the most plentiful and because it offers better protection for your beer in case you don't happen to keep them in the dark.

I used to bottle one beer from each new recipe in a clear bottle, just so I could admire it. It was fun at first, but it got to be too much trouble after a while so I stopped doing that. I'd rather drink them all anyway.