Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
Ok, Got the closet door locked, so now on to the bottles. I have a steady supply of empty wine bottles. I have cleaned them in hot soapy water with a brush, then put them in the dishwasher for additional cleaning. After that a little WD-40 on the outside to remove the labels then I will put them on the shelf awaiting bottling time.

Is this good enough for the cleaning? And what procedure should I use to get them ready for the precious liquid?

Thanks
Don "Ho"

you'll need to sanitize them the day you bottle, immediately before. use a no-rinse sanitizer like star-san (or iodiphor if you 'fear the foam')

I assume you have a corker? I prefer the synthetic corks, but to each his own. As long as its truly done fermenting, and not going to be a sparkling mead, you don't need cages for the corks. do make sure its a clear mead, as yeast sediment is harder to avoid pouring from the larger wine bottles, so you end up sacrificing more mead to the sediment.

Back