Bottles Prep Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
So all my bottles are clean and scrubbed with bleach water, should i dunk them again in the bleach water, drain, then immediately put in the dishwasher? how do you guys do it?

:mug: Since you are using bleach water, you need to rinse with hot water and store upside down in the box with clean paper towels. I use Starsan so you don't have to rinse. It's alot less time consuming.:mug:

Yes. I agree. Rinse them with hot water. When you run them in the dishwasher do not add any detergent. Just let it run with water only. The additives in dish washing soap will kill the head in your beers.

And if you have different settings on the dishwasher, crank it up to full, energy "wasting", pot scrubbing, heated dry, etc.

If it was me, I'd clean the bottles and just sanitize them with a no-rinse sanitizer and skip the dishwasher. It's really fast to just sanitize already clean bottles. I can sanitize and fill them faster than most people can load and run the dishwasher. Just a thought!

should i use a syringe or a spray bottle to coat the inside (and outside?) and then let it sit for a minute to dry (or use immediately) or just make a bucket to dunk the clean bottles in?

Bucket and dunk. You can use your dishwasher rack as a bottle drying rack. Put them on the rack upside down and let them drain/dry. If you are going to use idophore, let them sit in the bucket for 2 mins before drying.

They do make this squirt thing you invert the bottle over, and give it a couple pushes. It squirts the inside of the bottle and runs back out of the neck into the resevoir at the bottom. Then you just invert on a bottle tree (old dishwasher rack mounted to the wall) and let them drain. It works pretty good, even with grolsch bottles.

I'm a huge fan of the dishwasher method. I put all my bottles upside down in there, run it on the sanitation cycle, and 2 hours later I'm ready to go. I pull down the dishwasher door, pull some bottles, fill them and set them on the folded down dishwasher door, which holds all the bottles AND catches all the spilled beer from bottling. Meanwhile the other empty bottles are held in a nice sanitary, upside down position in the dishwasher.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Radarbrew said:
They do make this squirt thing you invert the bottle over, and give it a couple pushes. It squirts the inside of the bottle and runs back out of the neck into the resevoir at the bottom. Then you just invert on a bottle tree (old dishwasher rack mounted to the wall) and let them drain. It works pretty good, even with grolsch bottles.
This is what I have - it sits on top of my bottle tree. I just push down the bottle a few times, hang it on the tree, and move on to the next one. When I get done with the last one, I open up the spigot on my bottling bucket :)

foxtrot said:
Sounds like a great method, maltMonkey. You don't need sanitizer after the dishwasher???

no, provided the dishwasher gets hot enough for a long enough period of time. Sounds like his actually has a santization setting, which is cool. I've found that after running mine on it's pot scrubber cycle and letting it run through the drying cycle, that I have to set it back to the begining of the drying cycle again to keep the temp high for long enough.

shafferpilot said:
no, provided the dishwasher gets hot enough for a long enough period of time. Sounds like his actually has a santization setting, which is cool. I've found that after running mine on it's pot scrubber cycle and letting it run through the drying cycle, that I have to set it back to the begining of the drying cycle again to keep the temp high for long enough.

Yep, it has a sanitation cycle. When the cycle is done it has a "sanitized" light that only glows if the water reached a high enough temp for a long enough period of time to be "officially" sanitized......what I like about it is that I don't have to worry about each individual bottle!

Back