Bottles not carbonating after 2.5wks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I bottled four 5gal batches with no carbonation problems and then moved to AG and have kegged and force-carbonated 45gal. Then I decided to spread the love and got my sister-in-law a kit of the Koningshoven Quad from AHB and helped her brew and bottle.

It was in primary for 3.5wks, then in secondary for 6wks (tastes so good!). Then it was transferred to a bottling bucket with a solution of 4oz of dextrose and 2 cups of water (boiled, then cooled, of course; no different than my first four batches). It has now been in the bottle for 2.5wks and is not carbonating at all. I see no sediment at the bottom of the bottles. Temperature has been consistent at ~70deg F. Is there something that I'm missing? Or is this another case of RDWHAHB?

My other brews have carbonated after the first week, so I'm wondering if the higher ABV is killing off those yeasties and not allowing them to go to work on the priming sugar. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

I just bottled a high ABV beer today and didn't think about it not being able to carbonate due to the high ABV. It's only about 8.7ABV though so I'll just hope for the best.

Back