Bottles in dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all...I was wondering if running bottles through the dishwasher(using no soap) at the highest temp would be good enough to sanitize them?

That's what I do. Soak them for an hour in oxyclean solution, scrub if needed, rinse, put in dishwasher, run on high with no dishwasher detergent. Have not had a problem yet.

Hi all...I was wondering if running bottles through the dishwasher(using no soap) at the highest temp would be good enough to sanitize them?

This is what I do before I bottle. Some people feel that there is still some soap residue within the dishwasher itself and that may lead to a head retention problems but I haven't had any. I don't use jet-dry or any other dishwasher additive when I run my dishes.

Be sure to do a good job de-labeling the bottles. Last year I noticed a film on my dishes after a busy bottling month. I theorized that it may have been from some excess glue/paper that I left on the bottles.

I've done this for my last two batches and have had a better success rate than I did with the batch that I tried to sanitize the bottles one at a time. I throw in 1/4 oz. of Star San just to make myself feel better, but I don't know how much it actually helps.

I run the washer empty threw a cycle first,, dont forget about cleaning out the screen at the bottom of the washer first,, if it hasnt been cleaned for a while you will be surprised whats down there in the screen..
on the last rinse cycle I throw in a little san star for peace of mind

I will just spray the inside of the dishwasher with star san, and make sure I get all the posts tha tthe beers will be sitting on. I let it sit for 30 minutes, open up, put the bottles in, spray again and turn it on.

(This is of course after cleaning of the tray at the bottom. I live with room mates, and they just don't care about my brewing! So god only knows what's in there.)

Back