Bottles didn't carb, can I keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried bottle carbonating with DME for the first time. Just cracked open a nice Pale Ale after 3.5 weeks with absolutely no carbonation. I have always used priming sugar in the past and never had an issue. I have experienced slow carbonation occasionally but never like this, it is totally flat. I must save this beer because frankly it is delicious while flat, so it should be awesome if carbonated.

I am considering these 2 options
1) adding carbonation tabs to the bottles and re-capping
2) I just bought a korny keg setup, so I could empty the bottles into a keg and force carbonate it.

I have never done either of these so I was hoping for some of your experiences/advice here.

Thanks

The ONLY course of action is to add the tabs and recap. Any other thing you do will oxidize them, no matter how careful you are.

RedBeardBrewer said:
I tried bottle carbonating with DME for the first time. Just cracked open a nice Pale Ale after 3.5 weeks with absolutely no carbonation. I have always used priming sugar in the past and never had an issue. I have experienced slow carbonation occasionally but never like this, it is totally flat. I must save this beer because frankly it is delicious while flat, so it should be awesome if carbonated.

I am considering these 2 options
1) adding carbonation tabs to the bottles and re-capping
2) I just bought a korny keg setup, so I could empty the bottles into a keg and force carbonate it.

I have never done either of these so I was hoping for some of your experiences/advice here.

Thanks

3. Wait!

How much DME did you use and what size batch? Assume you boiled a cup or two of water and added your DME the poured the priming solution into a bottling bucket.

How big was this beer? High alcohol can slow things down and DME probably takes a bit longer to ferment out compared to sugar.

Just went over my notes:
Bottled 6/16/12
DME was 1.25 cups boiled in 2 cups water
Batch size: 5 gallons
ABV: 5.5

RedBeardBrewer said:
Just went over my notes:
Bottled 6/16/12
DME was 1.25 cups boiled in 2 cups water
Batch size: 5 gallons
ABV: 5.5

That's probably enough DME to get 2.4 volumes - though weighing it out is better.

At this point rouse the yeast by swirling the bottles, keep at 70 F for at least one more week and chill the bottle for 24+ hours. Patience will be rewarded.

I kegged my flat bottled beer about a month ago with my new corny setup. It worked out just fine. I used my bottling bucket to pour the beer from the bottles carefully, then siphoned into the keg. This was on a Friday, by Sunday, the beer was gone. No worries about oxidation in that timeframe.

Latest posts

Back