Bottles Cap Identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I am collecting bottles for re-bottling. How do you know if a beer bottle takes a standard or European bottle cap? Is their markings on the bottle? Is there some visual way of knowing?

Thanks
Kevin

I use both Standard and European bottles. The caps are the same, but some 750 ml European bottles seem to have a larger cap. You will just have to try them out and see if they fit.

You can use a standard bottle can on a non-normal (European) bottle? I figured you would get leaks this way. How do you know if it should take a non-standard cap?

Thanks
Kevin

There are no markings on the bottle to indicate it. Does anyone know of some of the common beers using the European caps so I can avoid them?

Thanks
Kevin

It's not the cap you need to be looking at, but the top ring on the bottle. That's where the gripping takes place. ;)

I have over 20 cases of German 0,5l bottles that I've been using for years...no special caps needed. :rockin:

Back