Bottles and shaking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JDL

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of beer yesturday...

It was an all-grain recipe of american wheat style that ended up a little strong at 7%. It sat in the primary for 21 days and I then cold shocked it for about 5 days at 40 degrees.

I made a 2 gallon batch so when i went to bottle I used the carb tablets and dropped 4 in each bottle as the directions say and started to bottle. The one thing I did not do was bring the bear back to room temperature so it went in the bottles cold.

Currently I can see a white residue on the bottom, which I am sure is the sugar/dextrose from the tablets. I have shaken the bottles up once after a week to help get the sugar off the bottom and back into the beer.

After 24 hours some more of the residue was back..but not as much..

My question is does it matter the temperature of the beer at bottling?

And does it hurt the beer for me to keep shaking it up to get the sugar off the bottom?

Do I even have to shake it or will the yeast eat it off the bottom?

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it is sugar, the yeast will find it and eat it. If it is yeast that has already filled up on all the sugar and fallen to the bottom, stop shaking them up. It might cause them a tummy ache and they will barf in your beer. :eek:

malkore

Reaction score
No shaking.

I've heard that the white carb tablets contain cornstarch as a binder, which won't feed the yeasties, and will just add to the sediment in the bottle.

The more clearish carb drops that look kinda like hard lemon candies, those are straight sugar, no binder, and thus their only residue would be the yeast sediment leftover from carbing.