Bottled water or filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
For the first time ever I'm going to not use straight tap water. I want to see what difference it makes. I think I have high iron in my water. My toilet tank is stained. Plumber says I must have high iron in the water. I've had beers taste metalic more than once. I've thought is was Carbonic bite but thinking it could be metals in my water. Huge difference in price on water. 90 cents a gallon at Walmart. $16 for a 5 gallon jug at Home Depot. Seems like Walmart water doesnt get the best reviews. I need 15 gallons so it makes a pretty good difference in money. Roughly $15 vs $50
So my questions are:

If using bottled water what would be a good Brand? Personal experience would be best

I have a one micron filter I've used for clearing finished beer.
Will one micron clear metals in water? Specifically Iron.

Always use Campden tablets
Not interested in RO
Yes I need a water report

I am using filtered water. My home tap is from a water coop and varies quite a bit.. So I use bought water and build it up for brewing. We have a kiosk that sells filtered water. It is Reverse Osmosis filtered, and gives me a stable starting point.

Buying in the bigger volumes can be good. It literally costs me $1.65 for 8 gallons of water.

Not the distilled water from Walmart. I dont want to get involved with salts. I just realized they have a few different waters, Spring water and Purified water. If I went this route which one would be better for a Pale ale/ IPA

https://grocery.walmart.com/product/Great-Value-Drinking-Water-1-Gallon/10315383

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Grea...6481b-4d0c-44bf-887e-1e0b9a605da7&athena=true

Edit: In the description there both listed as Purified. Without testing and knowing whats in the water I understand its a shot in the dark. Anyone with experience with using these waters?

Last edited:
Not the distilled water from Walmart. I dont want to get involved with salts. I just realized they have a few different waters, Spring water and Purified water. If I went this route which one would be better for a Pale ale/ IPA

https://grocery.walmart.com/product/Great-Value-Drinking-Water-1-Gallon/10315383

https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Grea...6481b-4d0c-44bf-887e-1e0b9a605da7&athena=true

Edit: In the description there both listed as Purified. Without testing and knowing whats in the water I understand its a shot in the dark. Anyone with experience with using these waters?

Why dont you want to get involved in salts or acids? Its cheap and takes care of it.

The thing to do is test the PH of the water.. and add the ingredients to get it in range. I have to add a lot of lactic acid to my water to get the PH into range.. If you are starting with bottled water, I would suspect your PH will be around 7.0 and you will need to do the same. It's simple.. squirt some of the lactic acid in the water.. wait a few mins and test the PH again. Since I am always starting with the same water, I know how much I will need to add every time.. and it is a no-brainer.

Wouldnt you want to be careful with adding acid to the water? Most people add it to the mash because the mash will lower the PH on it's own. If you were to hit target PH levels prior to the mash, it would drop well below the desired level.

I will agree about starting with a blank slate when it comes to water. Adding some brewing salts isn't a big deal and a little goes long way.

I typically buy Poland Springs bottled water, six gallons in one gallon jugs. The price has gone up lately.
Last year it was slightly over $5 per 6gal box, but has increased to about $6.30 at BJ's Wholesale.
https://www.polandspring.com/

The Poland Springs water is about 6.6-7pH, and the water is soft - which makes a great base water for light SRM ales or lagers. Because it has a low mineral content and low hardness level the pH level can swing quickly. It's very easy to adjust and like I said, is a great water for Pils, light lagers, and ales. For hoppiness and higher IBU beers just add or adjust sulfate levels in the strike water before mashing.

Wouldnt you want to be careful with adding acid to the water? Most people add it to the mash because the mash will lower the PH on it's own. If you were to hit target PH levels prior to the mash, it would drop well below the desired level.

I will agree about starting with a blank slate when it comes to water. Adding some brewing salts isn't a big deal and a little goes long way.

Plugging in RO water in Beersmith calculates an acid adjustment for the water. It gets you close using the calulator.

Ah yes I missed your point.. yes adding the lactic acid at mash time is typical.

This is turning into an RO thread that I'm not interested in at this time (as stated)

Costco has Poland Spring for $1 a gallon. I'll try that as a base without adding anything and see how it goes. I'm interested if there will be a difference compared to tap that I've been using forever

Do you need Campden tablets with bottled water?

They come wrapped up in a 6 pack which makes it easier to carry at least.

Last edited:
This is turning into an RO thread that I'm not interested in at this time (as stated)

Costco has Poland Spring for $1 a gallon. I'll try that as a base without adding anything and see how it goes. I'm interested if there will be a difference compared to tap that I've been using forever

I think it it all applies to your original posting no?..

If you are buying bottled water, whether it is RO or not, you will likely be treating your water if you want a proper PH or minerals etc. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Have you tried filtering your water first? You may save $ on bottled water. Does your water taste metallic right from the tap or just your beers? Sorry, i don't have a source of bottled that i use. I have pretty soft water from my tap, i just filter it and adjust per recipe
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00523AMBC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The Chart states it will filter out Iron, among many other elements

Last edited:
No personal experience, but the "purified" water sounds like RO. Your 1 micron filter is not going to remove iron. It's just for particulates. You could consider a faucet-attached water filter (e.g. PUR) if you like the way this brew turns out. Those will also remove chlorine in your water, if any.

My parents have a lot of iron in their water, and I have no interest in convincing them to use RO, but I would like to recommend some kind of filtration system. Usually when we visit we bring some bottled water so we aren't getting straight tap the whole time we're there. If someone here could share what kind of non-RO filter would take care of rust/iron, I would appreciate knowing.

I've used grocery-store brand filtered and distilled water for a several brews. I brew partial-extract so I usually top off with filtered bottled (or sometimes brita) water after I add a little extract. I use the distilled water for mashing and sparging and add CaCl or Gypsum. They turn out ok.

I know you don't want to use "salts", but I just thought I'd throw it out there that if you want to try adding salts to RO/distilled water:
  • 0.78g (~0.22 teaspoon) CaCl per gallon of water is the limit for CaCl
  • 1.7g (~0.425 teaspoon) Gypsum per gallon of water is the limit for gypsum
  • Don't add both to their limits, or you'll probably end up with too much calcium
Campden tablets are for removing chloramine, and there shouldn't be any in bottled, filtered water.

Johnny, please don't take this the wrong way, but it's time for you to learn about water.

If you're just using your basic water, you are almost certainly not making the best beer you can make. My son was doing extract brews, and he was using his local water. Switched to using RO/Bottled water and his beers took a leap forward.

As far as bottled/distilled/RO water, for all intents and purposes, they're going to operate the same for you. Once you get water that is essentially devoid of minerals, you need to build the water back up. In what way you do that depends on the recipe.

Here's what caused the water thing to click for me: dark malts produce a more acidic mash than light malts. This is why certain beers became associated with particular places: Stouts in England as the water was alkaline, and they needed the acidity of dark malts to bring mash pH down to where it needed to be. In other places with water that was not alkaline, the malt needed to be light so as not to bring the pH down too far. Think Pilsen.

Distilled or RO water is very similar. But you need to add salts and such to get it to where you need it to be. I don't know why you're concerned about adding salts or acid (lactic or phosphoric) to strike water; it's pretty much standard procedure.

A recent brew where I had 8.25 gallons of strike water had 1 gallon of my very alkaline tap water and 7.25 gallons of RO water. Due to the particular grain bill I had, I added 5gr of Calcium Chloride (CaCL2), 5 gr of Epsom Salts (MgSO4), 1 gr of Gypsum (CaSO4). Needed a ML of lactic acid, too, and I added 1.5 Campden tablets (crushed).

It's just standard that I build the water up--and I'd guess that's the case for 95 percent of all-grain brewers. If you think you're going to brew good beer just by using distilled water and not doing anything to it, well, IMO you're going too far in the other direction.

You're adamant about not using RO water. Wondering why.

When I learned about water I used some distilled water from WalMart a couple times, then after examining the cost, bought an RO system from Buckeye Hydro. I hooked it up to the faucet on my utility sink, and I run the output into an Aquatainer. That's standard every brew day: I empty the aquatainer into the boil kettle, then set it to refilling.

RO systems do not need to be permanently mounted. I don't have a tank, and it's fairly basic. I don't know about what RO systems do with a lot of iron in the water, but I'm sure there's some way to deal with it. What kicked me over the top was this: i have that water available all the time, I don't have to schlep gallons of water from the store, and it's cheaper--by a lot. Enough to pay off the system. Mine's paid off, and that water is as cheap now as can be.

Anyway, perhaps some food for thought.

Johnny, please don't take this the wrong way, but it's time for you to learn about water.

If you're just using your basic water, you are almost certainly not making the best beer you can make. My son was doing extract brews, and he was using his local water. Switched to using RO/Bottled water and his beers took a leap forward.

As far as bottled/distilled/RO water, for all intents and purposes, they're going to operate the same for you. Once you get water that is essentially devoid of minerals, you need to build the water back up. In what way you do that depends on the recipe.

Here's what caused the water thing to click for me: dark malts produce a more acidic mash than light malts. This is why certain beers became associated with particular places: Stouts in England as the water was alkaline, and they needed the acidity of dark malts to bring mash pH down to where it needed to be. In other places with water that was not alkaline, the malt needed to be light so as not to bring the pH down too far. Think Pilsen.

Distilled or RO water is very similar. But you need to add salts and such to get it to where you need it to be. I don't know why you're concerned about adding salts or acid (lactic or phosphoric) to strike water; it's pretty much standard procedure.

A recent brew where I had 8.25 gallons of strike water had 1 gallon of my very alkaline tap water and 7.25 gallons of RO water. Due to the particular grain bill I had, I added 5gr of Calcium Chloride (CaCL2), 5 gr of Epsom Salts (MgSO4), 1 gr of Gypsum (CaSO4). Needed a ML of lactic acid, too, and I added 1.5 Campden tablets (crushed).

It's just standard that I build the water up--and I'd guess that's the case for 95 percent of all-grain brewers. If you think you're going to brew good beer just by using distilled water and not doing anything to it, well, IMO you're going too far in the other direction.

You're adamant about not using RO water. Wondering why.

When I learned about water I used some distilled water from WalMart a couple times, then after examining the cost, bought an RO system from Buckeye Hydro. I hooked it up to the faucet on my utility sink, and I run the output into an Aquatainer. That's standard every brew day: I empty the aquatainer into the boil kettle, then set it to refilling.

RO systems do not need to be permanently mounted. I don't have a tank, and it's fairly basic. I don't know about what RO systems do with a lot of iron in the water, but I'm sure there's some way to deal with it. What kicked me over the top was this: i have that water available all the time, I don't have to schlep gallons of water from the store, and it's cheaper--by a lot. Enough to pay off the system. Mine's paid off, and that water is as cheap now as can be.

Anyway, perhaps some food for thought.

Hey mongoose so when I use store bought bottle water it says spring drinking water . Should I look into adding acids and water treatment stuff ? Does it depend on the type of beer ? I'm thinking of having my water tested then going from there . You hit on a good point that I just recently learned is that certain places had water specifically for beer styles like for stouts , or pilsner in Czech or octoberfest in Austria. The water program I guess gives you the water ph for that area to make their style beer . The more I get into brewing the more I get into wanting to make my beer better and better which I believe water is important.

Hey mongoose so when I use store bought bottle water it says spring drinking water . Should I look into adding acids and water treatment stuff ? Does it depend on the type of beer ? I'm thinking of having my water tested then going from there . You hit on a good point that I just recently learned is that certain places had water specifically for beer styles like for stouts , or pilsner in Czech or octoberfest in Austria. The water program I guess gives you the water ph for that area to make their style beer . The more I get into brewing the more I get into wanting to make my beer better and better which I believe water is important.

It depends on what's in the spring drinking water. Very hard water requires acid--in the form of acidic grain or added acid--to bring the pH down to where it needs to be. Very soft water requires other additions to bring the pH up, again depending on the grain bill.

Using a water calculator can make this relatively easy. I've used both EZWater and Brunwater. They account for the acidity of the grain, the characteristics of the starting water (you input those), and then you can adjust the water for what you want the result to be.

At the beginning of the Brew Science forum there are several stickies, including a water primer. It's a good place to start.

Bulk RO water is 39 cents a galllon at every grocery store in a 20 mile radius of my house. There are dispensers at every one of them. Is this abnormal?

Buy the 5 gallon containers once and keep using em.

Water is incredibly easy. Download one of the multitude of water spreadsheets. I’m no engineer or really even that bright and it took me about 10 minutes to figure it out. I’m amazed at the number of even professional brewers who I talk to that don’t know anything about it. I built a profile from RO for my first ever brew and every one of them since. It makes a big difference.

You can put a relatively inexpensive filter housing under your kitchen sink that uses generic size 10" filter cartridges. $3-20 depending on the cartridge. Maybe $20 for the filter housing. A few $s for 2 fittings and an extra faucet supply hose.

Then you can put in a combination 1-5 micron particle and carbon filter. Walla! Filtered water you can brew with. Do a pool chemistry test on the water to get you in the ballpark.

Then you also have filtered water right out of the kitchen tap you can drink and tastes great. Just change the filter every 3 months for a few bucks. Waaaaay cheaper than those $40 refrigerator specialty cartridges.

https://www.filtersfast.com/mobile/...-VV0CEKEAaAt2VEALw_wcB&fsrc=G1F5F&kpid=158622

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/st...v3K9j70soTWd5ATwGLbvclK2hZ9oLgToaAgYvEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK2Z7QC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Bulk RO water is 39 cents a galllon at every grocery store in a 20 mile radius of my house. There are dispensers at every one of them. Is this abnormal?

Buy the 5 gallon containers once and keep using em.

Water is incredibly easy. Download one of the multitude of water spreadsheets. I’m no engineer or really even that bright and it took me about 10 minutes to figure it out. I’m amazed at the number of even professional brewers who I talk to that don’t know anything about it. I built a profile from RO for my first ever brew and every one of them since. It makes a big difference.
Water is easy and it's not. Building RO water is relatively easy but also easy to end up with mineral water. Conditioning tap water just right is difficult. Calculating residual alkalinity and hitting a target is hard. Residual alkalinity is the difference between decent and great beer.

You can put a relatively inexpensive filter housing under your kitchen sink that uses generic size 10" filter cartridges. $3-20 depending on the cartridge. Maybe $20 for the filter housing. A few $s for 2 fittings and an extra faucet supply hose.

I am not knocking the filter idea.. I just think its more efficient to get RO water.

housing = 15$ + shipping
filter = 6$ ea + shipping
hoses = $13

I have one of those massive ice / water kiosks things a few miles away. It literally costs me $1.65 for 8 gallons of water and the water is always the same.

Just my $.02

Huh? So $34 for 2 months of filtered water from your tap, and $3 a month after that isn't worth what people either pay Culligan to deliver in 40lb jugs or you have to drive to pick up in containers? After 2 years it averages to $4.17 a month for all the filtered water you want right out of your tap to use not just with brewing beer. Price continues to go down each month after that never quite reaching exactly $3. That's not worth it to you? You're certainly the outlier because if you weren't, movie streaming services wouldn't be tanking Redbox. I mean, why pay $4.37 for a movie rental on Vudu when you can drive down to the Redbox and get it for $1? Convenience bro. Value proposition.

Huh? So $34 for 2 months of filtered water from your tap, and $3 a month after that isn't worth what people either pay Culligan to deliver in 40lb jugs or you have to drive to pick up in containers? After 2 years it averages to $4.17 a month for all the filtered water you want right out of your tap to use not just with brewing beer. Price continues to go down each month after that never quite reaching exactly $3. That's not worth it to you? You're certainly the outlier because if you weren't, movie streaming services wouldn't be tanking Redbox. I mean, why pay $4.37 for a movie rental on Vudu when you can drive down to the Redbox and get it for $1? Convenience bro. Value proposition.

Oh please..

There is a big difference in the filtered water from the cartridges you are referring to and RO. To get filtered water remotely on par with RO, you have to buy filters that are NSF /ANSI 53 standard certified (and even these aren't even that close). These are at least $20 each and typically much more. Real filtering costs money. The water you will get out of filters like what you listed will taste better etc.. but they are not even close to RO water. The idea with using RO water for brewing is to have a stable baseline to start with.. One that is the same every time. You don't have that with your $6 filters. I have a filtered water dispenser on my refrigerator, and I begrudgingly pay the extra money for the NSF 53 filters, because there is a big difference in taste between NSF 42 filtered water and NSF 53 filtered water.

All I was saying is that I can brew about 24 batches of beer with real filtered RO water for what it costs to implement the cheapest filtering system under the sink. For me it is clearly the way to go. My comment wasn't meant to get your blood pressure elevated. No hard feelings.

Lost in the discussion, I think, is the aggravation of having to go buy and then schlep around RO water every time you want to brew. For me--YMMV--that's a pain, and if I were able to get it in large enough containers, well, I don't want to be carrying that.

I have an RO system at home w/o the pressurized tank. I have a 7-gallon aquatainer I use to fill my BK at the start of every brew, then I immediately set to refilling it for the next time. I never have to move more than 3 feet to get that water, and it's always there and ready for me. No having to plan around having to go get that water. That's important to me--YMMV.

I don't just use that RO water for brewing; I have a Keurig coffee brewer in my office and I bring RO water in 1-gallon jugs to feed that. RO means no (or virtually no) buildup of scale over time and thus no having to clean it out. So I have that benefit too--and no going to the store to get that, either. At any one time I'll have a 7-gallon aquatainer full of RO water, plus anywhere from 5-13 1-gallon jugs of RO water waiting for use in brewing or for my coffeemaker.

There is the downside of a system--there's up-front cost, and the water isn't completely free. But for me, the time savings and convenience are worth it.

Others might have different parameters in deciding what works best in their situation. And in the end, we all get to apply our own interests and values, and make our own choices. Nothing wrong with that.

Water is easy and it's not. Building RO water is relatively easy but also easy to end up with mineral water. Conditioning tap water just right is difficult. Calculating residual alkalinity and hitting a target is hard. Residual alkalinity is the difference between decent and great beer.

I don’t know... my water is total crap. 650 TDS 240 Alkalinity among other things. I’ve been preboiling and decanting Lately and my beers are much better than just building from RO. You can find the calculations online to make rough assumptions on the Ca and Bicarbonate levels and adjust from there. I get pretty darn close to my mash pH goals every time although I’m never really trying to hit an exact number just within a certain band.

Still need to send some post Boil results into Ward Labs..

Lost in the discussion, I think, is the aggravation of having to go buy and then schlep around RO water every time you want to brew. For me--YMMV--that's a pain, and if I were able to get it in large enough containers, well, I don't want to be carrying that.

I have an RO system at home w/o the pressurized tank. I have a 7-gallon aquatainer I use to fill my BK at the start of every brew, then I immediately set to refilling it for the next time. I never have to move more than 3 feet to get that water, and it's always there and ready for me. No having to plan around having to go get that water. That's important to me--YMMV.

I don't just use that RO water for brewing; I have a Keurig coffee brewer in my office and I bring RO water in 1-gallon jugs to feed that. RO means no (or virtually no) buildup of scale over time and thus no having to clean it out. So I have that benefit too--and no going to the store to get that, either. At any one time I'll have a 7-gallon aquatainer full of RO water, plus anywhere from 5-13 1-gallon jugs of RO water waiting for use in brewing or for my coffeemaker.

There is the downside of a system--there's up-front cost, and the water isn't completely free. But for me, the time savings and convenience are worth it.

Others might have different parameters in deciding what works best in their situation. And in the end, we all get to apply our own interests and values, and make our own choices. Nothing wrong with that.

All good points. I agree it's all about your situation. I live in the country so I don't mind a few miles drive to get water. It gets me out of the house and gives me a reason to take the dogs for a ride in the car.

I actually already have 2 filter housings and a box of 50 one Micron filters and a box of 50 five micron filters for when I filter my finished beer. So the cost would be zero to filter my tap water. I wasnt sure if the one Micron filter would be enough to filter out rust and its been said it wont and I need the better type of filter.

It just cost me around $20 for 15 gallons of Poland Spring that I would like to avoid if filtering is just as good. But not a deal breaker

This beer with the Poland Spring is at full blown fermentation as smells real good and hoppy. I'll be curious to see if it taste any different than all my other tap water batches.
10 gallon batch

26# 2 row
1# C120
1.5 oz cascade @60
Nothing before 175 deg steep for an hour till it dropped to 150 ( first time doing it this way)
Then
2 oz citra
2 oz cascade
1 oz centennial
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria ( using for the first time)

Please keep us updated, I don’t have anything to add as to your question but like you I’m not interested in messing with water chemistry and I don’t want to get an RO system due to the amount of wast water I would just like to use a series of filters.

I have used 3 or 4 different brands of bottled water. A spring water from Seven Springs AZ, Crystal Geyser, Kroger (grocery store brand) and Nestle Pure Life purified with added minerals for taste. After my experience with the other brands that weren’t bad, I am biased towards the Nestle Pure Life. I like the way it makes my beer taste. I will add between a 1/4 teaspoon and a teaspoon of calcium chloride or calcium sulphate depending on if I am trying to emphasize the malt or hop character.

Oh please..

There is a big difference in the filtered water from the cartridges you are referring to and RO. To get filtered water remotely on par with RO, you have to buy filters that are NSF /ANSI 53 standard certified (and even these aren't even that close).
Guys - remember that sediment filters and carbon filters DO NOT remove TDS (dissolved solids). It's the RO membrane that does that.

Russ

Please keep us updated, I don’t have anything to add as to your question but like you I’m not interested in messing with water chemistry and I don’t want to get an RO system due to the amount of wast water I would just like to use a series of filters.

With a "series" of filters, you can remove TSS (total suspended solids - meaning UNdissoved chunks of stuff), and you can treat chlorine and chloramine. But your TDS will remain essentially unchanged. If that is ok with you, no problemo. We have all the housings, fittings, tubing, and cartridges and can build it for you.

Russ

Why would you want to filter out everything completely down to RO water? You remove all character that lends into your beer. Take out the harmful stuff, minimize the difficult stuff, analyze the rest, and aim for a target. In this age of renaissance brewing and historical efforts it seems counterproductive to make chemistry lab beer. Robot beer: creating perfect booze with no character, but hey it's cool cuz my water met NSF/ANSI 53 standards just like in olden days.

image.jpg

Why would you want to filter out everything completely down to RO water? You remove all character that lends into your beer. Take out the harmful stuff, minimize the difficult stuff, analyze the rest, and aim for a target. In this age of renaissance brewing and historical efforts it seems counterproductive to make chemistry lab beer. Robot beer: creating perfect booze with no character, but hey it's cool cuz my water met NSF/ANSI 53 standards just like in olden days.
I actually spit my coffee out when I read that. thanks for the laugh. Cheers

I just got a water report and used brunwater to then blend distilled water and then add my adjustments .

To answer your specific questions:

After numerous trials with bottle water I now use Crystal Geyser. They furnish a real water report on their website. I've made great beer with and without salt additions.

Next question: iron can be filtered, but it will quickly plug a filter.

I was raised in the water business. No I'm not a chemist, but I know water.
Just buy your water for now.

That's why I've learned to use my tapwater. (that, and the challenge) But if one is going to buy bottled water, buying bulk RO water from the supermarket dispenser is the way to go.

Back