Bottled the first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorbrews

Reaction score
Well after 2 weeks in the primary and steady gravity reading I bottled my first batch today. Unfortunately upon bottling the beer (it is technically beer at this point right?) had a slight skunky odor and taste which was a little disappointing, but this was my first batch so I dont expect perfection, i will improve on the next batch. I fermented in a 6.5g carboy that was never exposed to direct sunlight, but would have been exposed to sunlight indirectly since some sunlight would pass through small openings in the curtains and brighten up the room I was fermenting in. I usually had the carboy covered with a towel, but occasionally the towel was off for a day or two. There would have also been several times that it would have been exposed to incandescent light, but as far as i am aware that shouldn't bee to much of an issue in short, maybe 4 hour doses?
I also only manage to squeeze 44 bottles out of the batch due to some accidental waste here and there.
Going to let them condition for 4 weeks before i crack one and hopefully it will have improved, but if it is still a bit skunky, i will still drink it and be happy knowing that I made it myself.

On a side note, it's fine if there was some star san foam in my bottles as i filled them right? :drunk:

Anyways, enough rambling, time to spend the rest of the afternoon picking out my next recipe. I'd also like to thank everyone on the forum for all their help and information.... and to any new brewers out there.... use the search feature!!!!!! It has been extremely useful!

B.

Congrats on your first batch!

On skunking: if I remember correctly, indirect sunlight can indeed skunk the beer. Whether or not bottle conditioning can clean out skunk flavors, I actually don't know. Maybe someone else can help in that area.

On Star San: it's absolutely fine to have a little foam in the bottle. It actually breaks down into yeast nutrient. :mug:

I doubt you are skunked. UV rays are actually what skunks beer by acting as a catalyst to some of the reactions. The light causes riboflavin to react with and break down isohumulones, a molecule that contributes to the bitterness of the beer and is derived from the hops (<---got that straight from the definition...lol).

Your beer is probably just green. Unless you keep your house at 60 degrees, you probably fermented a little on the hot side and got some minor off-flavors that way. These will condition out if you give them like 4-6 weeks, so if you have a beer following carbonation and it still isn't quite right, just let them condition at room temps and taste one every week until the off-flavors are gone.

Remember the #1 ingredient in good beer - PATIENCE!!!!

I have racked an bottled onto Star San bubbles galore without a problem so no worries and like TopherM describes I am betting you just need to age it in a nice cool place.

My first wasn't the best smelling at bottling and turned out not spectacular but helluva lot better then most commercial swill they call beer.

Im willing to bet thet in 3 weeks you're going to have a beer you're proud of. Congrats!

I wouldn't sweat it, wait for a couple weeks and you will be surprised at how tasty they are.

Back