Bottled my first brew last night.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I bottled last night. Was really good tasting, only put the madarin flavoring in 2.5 gallons tho. Has an after taste mouth aroma of a 50/50 bar with the flavoring in there. I like the hefe with no flavoring better tho.

FG was 1.011 Forgot to get a starting gravity reading. Anyone with beer smith who can tell me what the ABV of this stuff will be? I was thinking 6% ABV

3/4 lb. 6 row barley
1/2 lb white wheat
1/2 lb munich
1 tsp Gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss
5lbs wheat dry malt extract
1 lb clover honey
Hops:
1/2 oz northern brewers 30 minutes
1/2 oz norther brewers 30 minutes
1 oz fuggle last 10 minutes
4 oz mandarin flavoring
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Yeast

Instructions:
Smack the Activator according to instructions on back of the yeast package, Put grains in grain bag or muslin bag. Put 2 gallons of R/O water along with brew salts in brew pot and heat to 160*F. Turn off heat and add grain bag. (Do not add grains to water above 165*F.) Let temperature rest down to 154*F. and hold at 154*F. for 25 minutes, stirring grain bag gently from time to time. Leave pot uncovered during this time. Then remove grain bag and let drain. Do Not Squeeze grain Bag! Rinse grains by slowly pouring 2 cups of HOT tap water over top of grain bag. Discard grains. Add Malt extract and bring to boil. Make note of the time in which your boil starts,add 1/2 oz of the Northern Brewer Hops. Make sure your boil is a calm boil. Do not boil too hard. Boil 30 minutes and the other 1/2 oz. of Northern Brewer Hops and boil for another 20 minutes. Add the 1 oz of Fuggle Hops along with the Irish moss and boil for 5-10 more minutes. Pour the wort into your fermenter on top of 3.5 gallons of very cold water, and pitch the yeast. Ferment 7-10 days at 68 - 72*F. You can also go from primary to secondary after 5 days and leave in secondary 7 days or until FG is 1.010 - 1.012. At Bottling Time, Add 7/8 cup and the Mandran Flavoring.

Don't have Beer Smith at work but I came up with 1.060 OG on beercalculus.com. I am not sure how accurate that site is though.

That would give you about 6.4% ABV, so yeah you were guessing right.

Back