Bottled my first batch tonight... Some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexorotten

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch tonight. Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale. I boiled 5 oz. of dextrose in 1 cup of water and cooled to room temp. put it in the bottom of my sanitized bottling bucket, and siphoned the beer from the primary fermenter into the bottling bucket.

I didn't wait a full 3 weeks (17 days) to bottle. I didn't rack the last 3/4 gallon or so into the bucket because there was so much sediment in it. Should I have gone ahead and rack it in there anyway?

Also, I'm a little concerned because I used the full 5 oz. of priming sugar and got 43 bottles. Am I at a high risk for exploding bottles? There was probably another bottle or 2 in the bottom of the bottling bucket that I didn't bottle because of the sediment in the bottom. I did a taste test and it wasn't too bad for being right out of the bucket.

Nah I've gotten 42-45 bottles and added 5oz turned out fine.......if they are gushers when u open I've had success letting them sit in the fridge a bit longer

You are probably fine. However next time use your hydrometer to determine if the beer is ready to bottle rather than a preset timeframe. Also no need to cool the priming sugar mix, just dump it in the bucket and rack the beer on top. The one cup of sugar water won't raise the temp of 5 gallons enough to notice. As for the 5 oz of priming sugar, before I started trying to prime to style I used 5 oz for everything. You will be fine.
And I would prefer 43 bottles of clear beer rather than 45 with a ton of gunk in the bottles.

Let it sit on the yeast 3 weeks and the yeast cake will be a bit more solid at the bottom and you can get most all of your beer out of the fermenter just tip it as you get to the last of the batch. Also if you move your fermenter before you transfer let it sit for awhile to let things settle down before transferring to your bottling bucket.

Back