Bottled my first batch, possible problem with caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
On some of the bottles the cap can twist but not come off. I wonder if its the StarSan making it slippery. I am using a brand new wing capper (black beauty). I know a bench capper is better but it's not in my budget right now and the wing capper is new. Has anybody had this problem before?

Are you sure none of the bottles are twist off? If not, did you try to give the loose ones a once over to try and secure them? They shouldn't twist like that.

Are you sure none of the bottles are twist off? If not, did you try to give the loose ones a once over to try and secure them? They shouldn't twist like that.

I'm sure they're not twist off. It's weird because I have two different bottles that look identical, but one allows the cap to twist. Can't tell if its the bottles I bought at my LHBS or store bought bottles that had beer in them.

I have bought beer before at the store and the caps twist, the carbonation was just fine. Do you think this is not really a problem and I should RDWHAHB?

I use the red capper. Have had the same issue with some bottles. I noticed it primarily with Corona bottles, but I think it was just because the head of the bottle was just a bit too small. Probably the same issue.
The good news is, that even those brews with twisty caps, still turned out fine.
The only thing I would try is to tighten again while pushing down firmly on the capper.
It can still be sealed and slide, so I am sure you are fine.

I guess only time will tell. Is there any way I can check to see if the bottle is sealed correctly?

I guess only time will tell. Is there any way I can check to see if the bottle is sealed correctly?

Stretch a balloon over the cap/neck of the bottle so the mouth is an inch or so below the bottom edge of the cap. If any gas is escaping it should inflate the balloon and alert you.

Actually, you know what? Some saran wrap and a rubber band would probably do just as well, and probably a higher likelihood of them being easy to find in your kitchen.

Sounds good ill try that. I was thinking to hold the bottle upright under water and look for bubbles. Although if water gets in then the bottle is ruined.

Reminds me of some of the Euro bottles that take a slightly different size cap. The Paulaner & Franziskaner bottles work fine. Smithwick's & Sapporo make my red baron hang up on the edges of the cap. Due to the style of the lip & neck area.

So this morning i checked all 50 bottles and none were loose to my surprise. Needless to say I am happy about it. Do you think the CO2 sealed the bottles over night? Maybe it was the starsan that made the caps slip. What do you think?

Stretch a balloon over the cap/neck of the bottle so the mouth is an inch or so below the bottom edge of the cap. If any gas is escaping it should inflate the balloon and alert you.[/QUO te

Great Idea!_

Or maybe the starsan dried & made the caps stick in place? We use'd this stuff called snoop to help seal vacuum tubes in place where we installed them on the engines. During hot test,it dried out,sealling the vacuum tubes nicely. Could be the same thing here.

Or maybe the starsan dried & made the caps stick in place? We use'd this stuff called snoop to help seal vacuum tubes in place where we installed them on the engines. During hot test,it dried out,sealling the vacuum tubes nicely. Could be the same thing here.

What ever happened they all appear tight and sealed. Boy I can't wait to be drinking my first brew while watching the Super Bowl with friends :mug:

Back