Bottled beer will not carbonate, is force carbing an option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhcamp01

Reaction score
I brewed a first batch recipe and went through all my normal steps and bottled. It's been about six weeks and I have almost 0 carbonation to the beer. At this point, I am wondering the easiest way to salvage the batch. I bottled because I was moving and didn't want to use my keezer. Now that I am moved, is force carbonation an option or is there something else I should try first

I brewed a first batch recipe and went through all my normal steps and bottled. It's been about six weeks and I have almost 0 carbonation to the beer. At this point, I am wondering the easiest way to salvage the batch. I bottled because I was moving and didn't want to use my keezer. Now that I am moved, is force carbonation an option or is there something else I should try first

need more details
but mainly what size was your batch and how much sugar did you add? what temperature has it been kept? did you batch prime or bottle prime?
how old was the beer? what kind was it?

need more details

but mainly what size was your batch and how much sugar did you add? what temperature has it been kept? did you batch prime or bottle prime?

Two week old, 5 gallon IPA using 5oz of sugar kept at no more than 76 degrees. Batched primed. Thanks for the help.

need more details

Two week old, 5 gallon IPA using 5oz of sugar kept indoors around 76 degrees. Batched primed. Thanks for the help.

other than trying multiple bottles, i'm at a loss. when i did bottle, i always put a few in plastic soda bottles and squeezed all the air out before putting the cap on. that way i could watch and feel the carbbing.

other than trying multiple bottles, i'm at a loss. when i did bottle, i always put a few in plastic soda bottles and squeezed all the air out before putting the cap on. that way i could watch and feel the carbbing.

No worries, thanks for the reply though.

What kind of sugar did you use? I think i read somewhere that one type of sugar used for adding body to beer cant be used for carbonating.

I used the appropriate sugar. Based off the replys, and my initial thoughts, I feel the yeast didn't have enough juice

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had two batches of beer around 10% ABV that just wouldn't bottle condition for me. Although the yeast tolerance was allegedly 12%, it had just given up.
People told me "be patient, it will carb." I set it aside checking one every now and then. A year later, still nothing. (no I didn't forget the priming sugar)
To answer your question, yes force carbing is an option.
I have a DIY 5L draft system, thanks to HBT, that I transferred the bottles to. I had it carbonated a week later.
You just have to be really careful not to oxygenate the beer during transfer.

Easy method without (much) oxidation is to add a few mL of champagne yeast slurry to each bottle and recap. It is a pain but will definitely get the job done. You could carefully pour the bottles into a keg and force carb but that would likely result in much more oxidation. I did the champagne yeast thing about 18 months ago on an imperial IPA and it was carbed in 10 days.

Back