Bottled beer temps /Sunny California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
With temperatures getting into the 90's, how should I store the beer I bottled yesterday? It's getting into the 80's inside the house, and we don't have basements here. I don't want to crank the A/C for 2 weeks, so my other option is my garage fridge, but how cold is too cold? I think the lowest setting is in the low to mid 40's. I'm on craigslist right now looking for a small fridge so I can get a temp controller, but what do you suggest in the meantime?

For bottle carbonation, I try to find a place around 72 - 75 degrees (we have an upstairs closet that works well for that). After I'm satisfied the carbonation is good, then I store them someplace cooler, to condition until I'm ready to drink them, 65 - 70 degrees.

In your case, you could try an experiment - let the carbonation develop at room temperature (75 - 80ish, it sounds like) and then condition them in your garage fridge. That would probably be like lagering them.

Best wishes,

Jim :mug:

Thanks for the info.

With outside temps in the mid 90's, my inside temp is getting to the mid 80's without the A/C on. SHould everything be fine if I set my thermostat to about 80-82 and then out the beer in the coldest room in the house?

I need to invest in another small fridge and temp controller if I want to bew during the summer months, so I'm working on that now.

For bottle carbonation, I try to find a place around 72 - 75 degrees (we have an upstairs closet that works well for that). After I'm satisfied the carbonation is good, then I store them someplace cooler, to condition until I'm ready to drink them, 65 - 70 degrees.

In your case, you could try an experiment - let the carbonation develop at room temperature (75 - 80ish, it sounds like) and then condition them in your garage fridge. That would probably be like lagering them.

Best wishes,

Jim :mug:

Why couldn't you use a swamp cooler type rig just like you do with fermenter? If you have an extra tub in your house. Put your bottles in the tub with a couple of inches of cold water & float some ice bottles. This will cool the bottles by a few degrees but not get them to cold. Change water, ice bottles once a day. Since you are not trying to acheive a huge temperature shift you may not even need the ice, experiment & see. I am having the same issues here in S Texas and am trying several dif things but the swamp cooler thing is easy & cheap.

Back