Bottled beer into a keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
So, last week I bottled 5 gallons of beer. Right after that, I decided that cleaning/sanitizing bottles is AWFUL, and I bit on a kegging setup. My fridge just got here and Im about to start building my kegerator.

Now, let me ask you. Since I am completely impatient, and Im psyched to use my new setup, and The carbing beer bottles are finished, but need another week to carb, can I fill my keg from those bottles if I did it carefully? Aside from wasting all that time bottling and rinsing those bottles, is this an awful idea???

It's not really a great idea.. no matter how careful you are, pouring out a bunch of bottles into a keg is likely to oxidize the beer. I'd just brew a batch ASAP, something that can be ready to drink quickly - ie. hefe, a small pale ale, etc.

That's kinda one of the most idiotic ideas people have on here. Oxygen + Fermented Beer = Liquid cardboard.

No mater what you might think, you'd have to pour the beer through air in order to fill your keg.

It seems stupid after weeks of fermenting and waiting for beer to carb and condition to ruin it just because you want to play with your new toy.

If you really want to "play" why don't you just carb up a bunch of water and make seltzer?

Or better yet brew a batch of celebratory beer to christen your kegs.

its not a good idea if you can help it, but i successfully did this with a barleywine that did not carbonate even after several months and it turned out with no cardboard tastes, even for several months afterward until it was all gone.

if there is nothing wrong with the bottles, you should just be patient and keg your next batch. but if there is some reason why you have to do this, it can infact be done without all the disasterous consequences spouted off in the above posts.

Back