Bottled beer has no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikesandman

Reaction score
Question!?

But first, the initial conditions.

Double IPA extract kit. Left it in the carboy (1st and 2nd) for ~3 months total. Held between 67-73F the entire time. ~9% ABV. Did the usual with mixing priming sugar with the entire batch and bottled them up. 3+ weeks later and absolutely no carbonation. I've used the caps before and brewed ~10 batches without this ever happening.

Now for the question.. wait longer?

Or remove the beer from the bottles and try to add some additional yeast and re-bottle to kick start the carbonation.

Looking for any thoughts!

Three months on the yeast? What yeast? I hope it didn't die off at 9% abv. How's it taste?

9% is going to take a while especially after 3 months in the carboy.
3 months is, IMO, completely too long to wait for a IPA or IIPA, you want to drink those beers fresh, like fresh fresh, like within 2 months. Most likely by letting this beer sit for 3 months you've lost all those hop flavor and aromas and you are more than likely going to be left with a Malt Bomb. I would've taken that **** out of the carboy as soon as possible...hit FG p, dry hop for 3-5 days and bottle

The yeast was Wyeast 1056 American Ale (1L yeast starter).

I know that it should have been bottled earlier but sometimes life gets in the way!

The beer tastes great, just zero carbonation.

So, it sounds like I should just leave it in my pantry and forget about it for a while?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Build a Keezer put it in a keg carb it and enjoy. I don't see a problem I see an opportunity. :mug:

Patience, Grasshopper :) My last Belgian (1.086, 9.2%) sat 2 months in the fermenter and took 2 months to carb. Three weeks - not a bubble. Six weeks - just starting to carb. Eight weeks - finally there. Just be sure it's in a warm place (70-ish) and give it time.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. We will hold off for a while!

I'll let you know once we test it out again!

I had a Scottish Wee heavy that I brewed back in October. It sat in the secondary 3 months and primary about a month. It's now the end of July and there's still no carbonation or should I say next to none.

So I wish you the best but my beer is probably ruined. Of course I will never have this problem again because I keg now.

Back