Bottled at stuck fermentation? Is it dangerous?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

maple_shaft

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Pittsburgh
I was working on a Dunkelweizen: OG 1.058, and FG at bottling 1.023.

The fermentation might have been stuck but I have tried stirring and warming it up and it didn't change after a week. I had it in primary for 1 week and in secondary for two.

I added 5oz of corn sugar and stirred well and bottled.

I am instantly regretting this decision because I am worried that I may have just created future bottle bombs!

I feel like an idiot right now. A scared idiot.

At the time I justified my decision in that the chocolate malt and other infermentables in the extract raised the FG.

As of right now it has been bottled for about a day. What do you think the best course of action is going forward?

I am going to try opening one in a couple days to test carbonation. Then if that is okay then try again in another couple days after that. I was thinking that if it is really foamy that soon then I can open them all and let them de-carbonate and then recap them.

What do you think?
 

jakeshivers

Active Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver
Isn't that what you're supposed to do? If no bubbles were coming out of the airlock after three weeks of fermentation, you should be fine.
 

Brewin06111

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Location
Newington, CT
Isn't that what you're supposed to do? If no bubbles were coming out of the airlock after three weeks of fermentation, you should be fine.

Airlock activity means nothing... If the FG stayed the same over a period of time (I usually do readings 3 days in a row) then it's time to bottle..What was the projected FG of your brew? If it was even remotely close you should be fine..
 

atromic

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Location
Vermont
My IPA stalled out at 1.020 (started at 1.060). It's been in bottles for a week, and no bombs so far.
 
OP
maple_shaft

maple_shaft

Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Pittsburgh
The estimated FG for the brew was 1.015 so it is about .08 off. I am afraid that if the priming sugar reactivates the yeast enough to start eating the other fermentables in the beer and create a dangerous situation.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,296
Reaction score
3,708
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
The estimated FG for the brew was 1.015 so it is about .08 off. I am afraid that if the priming sugar reactivates the yeast enough to start eating the other fermentables in the beer and create a dangerous situation.
I bottled a 1.030 all grain that was stuck after a month in primary, and even after trying the usual stuff: Lightly swirling the fermenter once to rouse the yeast to see if they will eat any extra sugars, wrapping blankets around it to warm it up abet to see if the yeast would wake up a bit more, and iirc even re-pirtching, on the advice of some folks here, went a head and bottled it.

I had no bombs and the beer was fine, just a little sweeter because of the unfermentable sugars in there.

If all the fermentable sugars have been consumed and the gravity is still high, then it's not stuck, it's finished. If you haven't tried rousing the yeast and warming the fermenter a bt for a few days then it's safe to bottle.
 

Latest posts

Top