bottled and curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwigbrew

Reaction score
So I bottled my first beer the other day. Really stoked to see what the results will be of all my time an money invested
Into this new hobby.. I do see some what looks like trub in the bottom of the bottles.. Small amount. I had a final gravity of 1.008.. Do I drink this?

Have they gone the normal ~3+ weeks at ~70F yet? If so, chill one down for at least a few days (I do mine for at least 4 days, often longer) before pouring. You don't want the sediment from the bottom of the bottle (aka 'the trub') in your glass... Well, unless you like tooting like a tugboat, or it's a style where you WANT the yeast in suspension...

Depending on how long the brew was on the yeast, what you brewed, the OG, etc, you might want to give it some more time before you start drinking it in mass quantities... :ban:

Drink the beer, not the yeast in the bottom. After 2 or 3 weeks put some in the fridge and let it sit for at least 48 hours, longer if possible. The yeast will collect together and somewhat harden at the bottom so it will stay put when your pour into a glass. When you see the yeast in the neck of the bottle quit pouring.

Do you drink the beer? Or the yeast? Some folks do drink the yeast. It's really good for you, TONS of vitamin B-complex. But most folks just pour to the shoulder leaving the yeast behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are seeing is basically yeast. Keep in mind, that your new hobby gives you a living creature as a finished product. There is stuff going on inside that bottle! The trub you speak of is the leftovers/yeast poop from the yeast consuming your priming sugar in order to carbonate. You don't want to necessarily drink it, and you don't want to necessarily avoid it. Most choose not to drink it, instead opting to pour into a glass leaving the last .25" in the bottle. Good luck.

Back