Bottle Woe's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I've been saving bottles for the last couple months in preparation of bottling a new batch. I was going to grab them from the basement to prep for bottling this weekend and they're gone!

My freaking teenage son took them in for the deposit!

Now I gotta buy some freaking bottles!

Maybe he should aid you in the bottling monotony as repentance for his misdeed.

Where are you located? I have about a hundred Pilsner Urquell, older shorter and heavier glass, bottles to give away.

Communication is key. my family knew i was saving bottles so any time they would come over they would bring empties. had to tell them to stop cause i felt like the recycling person and had way too many bottles.

LOL, my entire neighborhood leaves bottles on my doorstep. Its a drunken milkman exchange. I give them beer, they leave cleaned bottles

I don't know how much bottles are where you live, but they aren't cheap at any homebrew store I've been to.

But a case of Sam Adams is not real cheap either- except that it comes with prefilled bottles. You can just drink the beer, and have a case of bottles. :D

I've also picked up bottles from the recycling center, but that is one at a time and they aren't always the cleanest.

I don't know how much bottles are where you live, but they aren't cheap at any homebrew store I've been to.

But a case of Sam Adams is not real cheap either- except that it comes with prefilled bottles. You can just drink the beer, and have a case of bottles. :D

I've also picked up bottles from the recycling center, but that is one at a time and they aren't always the cleanest.

taking the labels off is a pain. German and Belgian bottles are easy tho but most murican ones are glued on real good.

For the labels that don't come off easy, I have found a solution that works for me. I peel off what I can, then spray the sticky stuff with Goo Gone and scrub that glue off with steel wool. Don't have to scrub that hard, the Goo Gone works wonders. It's a bit of a process but it beats paying ~$16 for a case of bottles at the brew shop

Find a pub that serves bottled craft beers and make friends with the barkeep. Ask if you can come in and fish some empties out of the bin. Give him/her a few homebrews to grease the skids.

I'm in Michigan but thanks for the offers. Good advice on here as well, appreciate it.

The collection I had going had previously contained excellent beer. I won't be able to duplicate that effort by this weekend without a serious hangover!

I have been able to secure about 32 between some others I had and my daughter. Have to make sure hers aren't twist offs. Looks like I'll still need to buy 1 case of new bottles..... I don't think they sell 12.

Back