Bottle wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatz85

Reaction score
I swear the bottle wand makes bottling harder due to dealing w/ the hose. I have found that just using the spigot is easier. Thoughts?

How long a hose are you using? Just a short piece to hang the wand from the bucket is best. Search for Revvy's bottling thread.

As for the spigot, yeah, you can do it, but it greatly increases oxidation risks.

When I bottle I set my bottling bucket on the counter next to the dishwasher. I get a kitchen chair and plop my ass in the chair. I take a bottle out of the DW and fill it from the bottling bucket. The bottling wand has a 2" piece of racking cane tubing on one end. The other end I stick on the bucket spigot. The whole thing hangs down over the DW lid or a bucket (to catch the drips and spills). I never fool with it until the bucket is empty and I'm done. Usually SWMBO is standing by with the capper. She likes to do that and I'm happy to have her help.

When everything is torn down to clean I leave the piece of tubing attached to the wand and have had zero issues.

Cut about a 1 1/2 inch piece of the tubing. Push one end on the spigot and the other on the wand. Raise the bucket to a comfortable level. Lift the bottle until it fills, repeat.

Second picture here:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bottling-no-1-another-thanks-revvy-197959/

You do not want to just use the spigot because you will be introducing oxygen as it splashes into the bottom of the bottle

My hose is a little longer than I would like as well but I just make some loops and pull it through itself to take up the slack.

Probably a dumb ? But what does oxidation do to beer? I do tilt bottle to prevent splashing, everything has tasted good so far

Oxidation makes beer taste like cardboard. It takes a little while before it is noticeable but apparently it tastes like crap.

Oxidation makes it taste like wet cardboard. I have done it that way (tilting the bottle ) but I don't prefer it. For one thing, there'd still be oxidation risk, for another, it's much harder to turn the spiggot on and off then to just release the bottle from the wand.

Adding o2 when bottling will give the wet cardboard off flavor. I use the Fermtech bottling wand with some 4' of 3/8" tubing at the spigot. I sit down with the bottle on top of my old 12 pack cooler to fill them. You can see my set up in my bottling video in my profile.
Everything is within arm's reach & not have to reach above the shoulder much. I do it right in front of my fermenter stand.

Ok looked at other threads about oxidized beer and i think that happened to my last beer. I pumped the hell out of the siphon a few times during siphoning to try to speed it up also wasnt as careful filling the bottles. Beer turned out terrible. Has a strong nasty after taste that lingers and stings. Someone said i scorched the malt but i didnt think so. Makes sense about the oxidation. I knew the recipe couldnt have been that bad. Well it took me 4 batches to finally mess up. Now i know about oxidation. Lesson learned

I give some tips in my bottling video as well. I think the best,simplest one is how to stop the flow with the bottling wand when you have to stop for whatever reason. doing it at the spigot allows air bubbles to fill the hose,so I found a better way. Check it out.

Thx homebrewing bros! Cut off a little piece of my siphon hose and set up it like the revvy thread. Tested w water and i like it better than using just spigot plus no risk of oxidation which i wouldnt wish upon anyone. Wet cardboard is an understatement. More like campfire ashes and 9 volt batteries. Perfect timing because about to bottle some blonde ale right now.

ForumRunner_20120106_183933.jpg

Back