Quantcast

Bottle temps???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BrianTheBrewer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego CA
So I started this forum on another thread and did not get many replies. We brewed a wheat beer and im wondering what temp to store the bottles at for the next 3 weeks. All the books I have read say 60-70 degrees to carbonate. Right now they are in a garage in a big wooden bin. The temp moves around alot here in New England as im sure you all know. It is going to start getting warmer out but it got down into the 30's/40's yesturday. Now the garage does get warm air into it by doing laundry but the temp moves around alot and im just scared they wont carbonate well under 60. I felt the bottles Saturday morning and they were very cold.

What temp do you keep your bottles at?
 

enderwig

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
1,433
Reaction score
8
Location
Dickinson Texas
I keep mine in a closet in the house. It is usually between 65 and 70. Although, since I am in Texas, I may have to come up with something else for the summertime. I can't afford to run my AC at 70 through the summer, it's usually 78 or 80, so I don't know what I will do come summer.
 

EvilTOJ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
6,394
Reaction score
64
Location
Portland, OR
Keep em at room temperature, otherwise you won't get carbonation at all. 50º is way too cold for carbing. The yeast is what makes the carbonation, and if it gets too cold they go to sleep and no activity happens. Once it's been about three weeks, then you can put em wherever you want, as long as they don't freeze.
 
OP
BrianTheBrewer

BrianTheBrewer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego CA
EvilTOJ said:
Keep em at room temperature, otherwise you won't get carbonation at all. 50º is way too cold for carbing. The yeast is what makes the carbonation, and if it gets too cold they go to sleep and no activity happens. Once it's been about three weeks, then you can put em wherever you want, as long as they don't freeze.

Thanks for the info...
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
Room temperature is fine. If it's colder than 70F, it will take longer. If it's warmer than 70F, don't worry about any fermentation off flavors. There is not that much fermenting going on in there.


TL
 
OP
BrianTheBrewer

BrianTheBrewer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego CA
70 degrees, really??? Wow...well I have 12 of them in a 12 pack box and they are now in the living room with 2 shirts covering the top of the box to keep out light and the temp in the room reads 70.
 

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
74,471
Reaction score
12,095
Location
UP/Snowbird in Florida
NoClueBrew said:
70 degrees, really??? Wow...well I have 12 of them in a 12 pack box and they are now in the living room with 2 shirts covering the top of the box to keep out light and the temp in the room reads 70.
Well, then 3 weeks at 70 degrees should give you perfect carbonation.
 

fratermus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
3
Location
75081
enderwig said:
I keep mine in a closet in the house. It is usually between 65 and 70. Although, since I am in Texas, I may have to come up with something else for the summertime. I can't afford to run my AC at 70 through the summer, it's usually 78 or 80, so I don't know what I will do come summer.
Yeah, heat is the curse of the Texan brewer.

I bet you could wick 10 degrees off the carboy/bucket with the tshirt/waterbath trick and a fan. I get about 5-6deg off without a fan, according to those stick-on fermometer things.

Last month I bought one of those fridge controllers; I knew if I did that I'd force myself to buy a used or dinged fridge for the beer. Bought a dinged up smaller fridge at Home Depot over the weekend and put it in the workshop. The wife is already happier about the increased closet space...
 
OP
BrianTheBrewer

BrianTheBrewer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
1,299
Reaction score
1
Location
San Diego CA
So im in my living room right now and my temp on the wall reads 70 degrees.
I went over to feel the bottles and they still feel cool, not cold but cool.
I have 12 of them in a 12 pack box with 2 shirts over them tryng to hold in the temp. Can the bottles stay at about 60-62 and still carbonate in 3 weeks?
 

jmiracle

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Location
Lansing, MI
If they're in a room temperature room they'll carbonate, just try one every week to check the carbonation if you're anxious, I've had a lot of beers get decently carbed in a week or ten days. You don't need to make a point of holding in the temp or anything, just stash them somewhere that you have the heat on and leave them alone. The bottles will always feel somewhat cool compared to your 98.6 degree hand.

But move those other ones in from the garage if you want them to carb anytime soon.
 
Top