Bottle Sulfur Smell After Tasting Fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateBodnar

Reaction score
Bottled up some basic dry cider that had been aging for 3 months. I had about 3 gallons of it aging in different 1 gallon jugs. Tasted great after a couple weeks of carbonating. Cold crashed them in my cider fridge at 37-42 degrees F once they got to desired carbination. I drank about a half of a dozen of the bottles from one of gallons a few days after they were in the fridge and it tasted great.

A week or so later cracked one open from the same gallon and there was a sulfur smell. This happened with only the bottles from one of the aged gallons. The bottles from the other two gallons were fine.

Any ideas on what happened?
I would have assumed the fermentation of my priming sugar was done and there was no chance of straining the yeast further.

Thanks for the help!

Cold crashed them in my cider fridge at 37-42 degrees F once they got to desired carbination.
Maybe they weren't finished?

Probably more fermentation occurred. I don't see any other way there would suddenly be a sulfide aroma besides fermentation.

I think it's a good idea to add fresh rehydrated yeast at bottling. This should help carbonate fully and quickly and make sure the yeast aren't stressed while bottle conditioning.

Maybe they weren't finished?

Probably more fermentation occurred. I don't see any other way there would suddenly be a sulfide aroma besides fermentation.

I think it's a good idea to add fresh rehydrated yeast at bottling. This should help carbonate fully and quickly and make sure the yeast aren't stressed while bottle conditioning.

I must been heavy handed on the priming FAJC or got my hydrometer reading wrong when trying to get the SG up 3 points with the priming FAJC.

Would have thought that they would be dormant enough in the fridge after a few days. Guess I got to lower the temp a bit.

Contaminated bottles perhaps? Certain bacteria can form H2S in cider.

A potential as well, however would hope this rules out since the bottles I used for my other gallons were soaked/washed/sanitized the same way and they had no problems.

Back