Bottle Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
Have a question on what I should do with my bottles once they have conditioned and carbed up. I have the option of throwing them into a fridge in the garage available to drink at any time or I suppose I could store them out of the fridge and throw only a couple in at a time. I would probably drink the whole batch within the next month and save a few for a couple months out.

Which is the better option for maintaining quality?

as long as you've given them enough time to carb up at room temperature (1-3 weeks, depending on the beer) you are fine to store them in the fridge if you have the space. The longer you keep them in the fridge, the more clarity you will see in the beer and the tighter the yeast cake will be at the bottom of your bottle. I have a fridge in the basement dedicated to this and after four weeks or so of lagering the yeast cake is so tight in my bottles that I can upend them and pour out all the beer without stirring up any sediment

========================================
Primary1: "Black Idea" Cascadian Dark IPA
Primary2: Pinot Noir
Primary3: Air
Secondary1: BYO Magic Hat #9 Clone
Secondary2: Russian Imperial Stout
Secondary3: Cinnamon Spiced Aphelwine
Bottle Conditioning: Sam Summer Clone, Caffery's Clone, Aphelwine, Mind-Bending Barleywine
Drinking: "Black Idea", McQuaker's Oatmeal Stout, American Amber Ale
Planning: Blackberry Porter

As to storage, I use milk crates which stack and each can hold one case of beers.

181316_10150091021744067_620469066_6196013_3815685_n.jpg

I keep them in the warmest place I can find. I have a few at my girlfriend's in here basement next to here furnace in a little dark corner.

Some folks use office file cabinets to store in.

cabinet2.jpg

I think it depends on the size of the beer. A big ol' barleywine that is supposed to mature for ages will do so better outside the fridge. But a simple wheat beer will peak and then fade much sooner. Refrigeration slows down this process.

I just put mine in boxes that'll hold a bunch of them. I tape the flaps so they'll stay down to keep light out. Stack'em by the fermenter till ready to put in the fridge for 5-7 days.:mug:

You want to carb and condition them at room tem, as close to the 3 weeks at 70 that it takes usually for average grav 12 ounce beers. AFTER they are carbed and conditioned, they a carbed and taste good to you, THEN you can store them however you want, and chill however many you want. I recommend you wait a minimum of 2 days in the fridge, but if you want the clearest, cleanest looking beer free of excess sediment and chill haze, the longer you chill them the better they will be.

BUT if they aren't carbed and conditioned first then carbing and conditioning will be retarded by the cold...The yeast will go dormant, and therefore nothing will be happenning in that regard to your beer.

Paper boxes are great. They don't have a seam on the bottom, so they won't split open when you are carrying them. It's the only thing I use, and the stack great. Staples or Office Depot will probably give them to you for free. Or any office building.

Thanks - great feedback from all. I think I will store in the fridge as it sounds like there are benefits to the fridge storage.

Back