Bottle storage before brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody_Brewer

Reaction score
I live in Rhode Island and have kept my empty beer bottles out on my deck underneath the grill cover over the winter (wife wouldnt let me keep em all in the house LOL). My question is do you think being out in the cold/snow weakened the bottles at all? I doubt it but I would like to get your input before I bottle and they start breaking on me. Thanks

Inert objects aren't affected by temperature and wind chills and such. If they ever get filled with water and freeze...that's another problem...

I wash my bottles in bleach water...if you do not rinse the bleach off and let the bottles dry you can "cap" them with aluminum foil or plastic wrap which will keep the dirt and bugs out. I read they will stay disinfected for a year.

I do all my bottles this way. It is also an indicator as to which bottles are "disinfected" or just "rinsed" or "washed".

Remember, you still have to wash the bleach off with hot water prior to use.

Drink em, rinse em and store em. Sanitize em, fill em, wait for em and drink em. Repeat as necessary

After cleaning the recycled bottles in PBW,& drying on my bottle tree,they get placed in boxes with the flaps closed & stacked up. I put them next to the fermenter stand in my make shift man cave.

I've only bottled a few batches so far, but we don't use our dishwasher so it acts as a bottle tree. Perfect fit too - it can hold about 50 bottles!

By the way, I'm in RI too! Don't see too many RI'ers on here.

Back