Bottle stage gunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anilvij

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm bottle fermenting now, and the brew doesn't look very active. There is some thick gunk in the bottom of the bottles. Is this useful yeast? Does it need to be kept in the liquid. I.e, should I keep flipping the bottles to keep it moving, or is it best to let it settle? Many thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

It is the yeast that is settling and floccuating. Leave it where it is, if you stir it up, it will just settle out again.

All perfectly normal.

Yeah, leave it where it is, it's settling out after minor ferment in bottle to carbonate in the same way a lot settles out in you fermenter during primary ferment. I mean, you COULD gently swirl it up in the beer when you pour it - the yeast is quite good for you, other than making the beer cloudy and giving you beer pharts :)

Sorry I should have added that this was what I saw only two days after bottling. I thought things would only settle like this a couple of weeks down the line.

Sorry I should have added that this was what I saw only two days after bottling. I thought things would only settle like this a couple of weeks down the line.

The yeast settled out because there was nothing left to eat. Just a normal part of the carbonation process.

It will settle. Did you cold crash before bottling, or did you just go from the hydrometer reading and bottle?

I agree that it is yeast settling. But that is a VERY cloudy beer with a LOT of yeast. Was the fermentation fully finished before you bottled.

As far as it not looking active, if you see any activity I would get worried about having overcarbonated beers.

The SG was stable for about 30 hours before bottling. Could the abundance of yeast be because I bottled direct from the Primary (bucket)? Also, if you're saying there is nothing left to eat then does this mean Secondary is all over in 2 days? Bad thing?

Back