bottle sizes for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennyluan

Reaction score
What kinds of bottles should I be using for bottling? I have a bunch of normal sized beer bottles that I am planning on using. Does it make a difference if I use these smaller ones (340 ml I think?) than the larger tall ones? Should I prime for bulk when I go to bottle then?

also, quick question. how do you use the racking cane? does the tip of the cane go all the way into the yeast cake at the bottom, or is it set against the wall of the fermenter?

Doesn't really make a difference. To me, it's just more to clean and sanitize if you use smaller bottles. Personally, I use 22oz bottles or kegs.

Priming should remain the same regardless of bottle size.

woolly booger, thats exactly what i was thinking. id like to give out a bunch of samples to friends if this batch goes well.

it's my first time, so i doubt it.

Priming sugar amount remains the same, because you should be priming an entire batch in the bottling bucket, not adding sugar into individual bottles. If you use a bottling wand (which, again, you should) headspace will be worked out automatically regardless of bottle size/shape.

As for your question about the racking cane, I think this is where you and I differ in approach. I use an auto-siphon, which many people here will tell you is the one piece of equipment they couldn't live without. The racking cane goes into the auto-siphon, tubing attached to the cane, and within a few pumps, beer is flowing from the fermenter into the bottling bucket. From there, a spigot adapter in my bottling bucket (which has a short tube and a bottling wand attached) serves to fill my bottles.

If that doesn't answer you question, or you have further questions, please feel free to ask. We'll do the best we can to answer them, or point you in the right direction.

I would also say an auto siphon rules!:rockin:

It depends if the racking cane has a cap on the end of it. If it has a cap it should be okay to rest on the bottom. If it has no cap you have to keep it out of the yeast cake/trub or you'll suck everything up.

:mug:

-Nick

The auto siphon is great, just go ahead and buy one now. We will wait till you get back....

Got one? Good, best money you will spend. :D

As for where it rests, even though it has the cap on the end I try to put mine on top of the cake resting against the side of the carboy, when the level gets low I just tip the carboy back at an angle and rest it on my organic chemistry book. That way I get just about every last drop of sweet sweet beer.

If you are adding priming sugar to the whole batch of beer, the amount is the same, but if you add the priming sugar directly to the bottles, you must adjust the amount for the bottle size. I use 3/4 tsp for 12 oz bottles and 1 1/4 tsp for 22 oz bottles. While this isn't exact, since 22 oz aren't twice as big as 12 oz, it's close enough for my tastes.

I like the 16 oz bottles... just the right size pour when you leave a little in the bottle when trying to leave the yeast behind.

I always bottle in a mix of sizes. I have sizes ranging from 330ml to 1L. Most are the American sizes of 12oz and 22oz. I try to split the batch between the large bottles and the small bottles. I give away only 12oz size as that is the size I usually get in free empties. However the 16oz of 1/2L size is about ideal for drinking. Its just a less common size to find beer in.

Craig

Back