bottle sanitation question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I made the mistake of sanitizing my bottles last Friday thinking I was ready to go but turns out it was still fermenting. I sanitized my bottles in the dishwasher on antibacterial mode and when i was done the bottles still had a little moisture in them. I went ahead and capped them with some foil to keep them sanitary but I'm wondering what that little bit of moisture in the bottles will do. Is it safe to go ahead and bottle? some of them still have moisture in them a week later.

A little moisture is usually no problem, if you bottle right away. If it's been a week, though, you may want to re-sanitize. It never hurts to be cautious.

and leave the detergent out of the dishwasher if your using it on antibacterial mode again

yes, I leave out the detergent and add a Tbs of one-step in its place.

I wasn't sure since they had been sanitized if that water inside had any nasties in it, but I guess safe is better than sorry.

Or... just take your foil capped bottles and put them in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 or so. Might use less energy than a wash cycle in the dishwasher, and is probably more effective at sanitizing.

Tom

If you use the oven, though, let them cool slowly. A lot of bottles are low grade glass, and if they cool too quickly they'll just shatter.

Back