Bottle Purchase.... Good Deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybucket

Reaction score
Here's the scenario...

Woke up Saturday morning... 20gals of All Grain Summer Ale in the fermenter ready to bottle.... only have 24ish bottles.... DOH!

This is my first attempt at brewing beer, and honestly I never thought I would have such a tough time finding used bottles. So here I was, a day away from bottling 20 gals of beer and I didn't hardly have any bottles....

So ready to bite the bullet and purchase a ton of new bottles at a premium price, I started getting ready to head over to the LBS to finance their kids college tuition. I decided to take 1 last look at craigslist to see if by any chance somone had posted something overnight.... viola!

An ad for two glass carboys with a sentence at the end stating '...and some other misc brewing stuff...'

So I called.... Two hours later I was at his house.. ended up buying EVERYTHING he had. This guy used to brew but hasn't in around 8 or 9 years. Just wanted to get everything out of his house.

I haven't counted everything yet, but he told me there are approx

100 Grolsh type bottles (gaskets need to be replaced)

200 - 300 other bottles ranging from 12oz to 24oz

4 1.3 gal mini-kegs with CO2 tap

2 5gal glass carboys

2 plastic fermenter pails

1 bottle drying rack

Kick ass Metal bottle capper.

bunch of misc brewing equip.

All of this for $120 + $40 in gas. Did I get a good deal? :cross:

DSCF4891.jpg

DSCF4892.jpg

DSCF4895.jpg

Anyways, got 15gals bottled yesterday! Went VERY well, didn't even put a dent in the bottles, but I used alot of 24ozs and two of the mini kegs. Got 5 gals clearing in one of the carboys to be bottled this week one afternoon if I get my Grolsh gaskets in!

sweet deal, I ended up buying a case of new bottles for my first batch. But now I've found a steady supply source for 22 ouncers... :)

100 Grolsh type bottles (gaskets need to be replaced)

250$ from LHBS, new. 100 gaskets <10$ at LHBS.

I'm envious, I also have 20 gallons of various stuff that's going to need bottled within a month and 4 cases of bottles.

Back