Bottle priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Gonna bottle using 12 oz bottles for the first time. ( I've been using 1 liter PET bottles.) I have some coopers carbonation drops, but I want to experiment with using corn sugar as well. I just brewed an American red ale today. I don't like highly carbonated beers, so I'm looking for a low to medium carbonation level. Every review I've read about the coopers carbonation drops says to use one drop per 12oz bottle, but how much corn sugar should I use? I'll be bottle priming a 2 gallon batch.

I drop 1/2 tsp cane sugar in each bottle for around 2.1-2.3 vols of CO2, pretty sure the same amount of corn sugar would be close. That's medium-low on the carbonation scale.

The standard ratio is roughy 4oz to 5 gallons for most ales of medium carbonation (think IPAs and Wheats)

If you're not a fan of overly carbed beer...I would use 1oz - 1.6oz for 2 gallons - 2 oz is way to much

Thanks guys for all the advice. Does anyone have experience using S33 ale yeast? I wanted to pitch some US-05 yesterday, but didn't have any on hand. I was just curious if that S33 was any good. It came with the kit. I really like this red ale recipe, & I think I'm gonna stick with it. I want to use a good yeast on it. So that's why I wanted to use US-05. Or is there a yeast that's designed specifically for an American red ale?

I use the Denny Conn method: 1oz sugar per gallon of beer in the bottling bucket. Adjust as needed for preference of carbonation.

Another easy way for bottle priming 12 oz. bottles is one cube of Domino Dots sugar cubes, one cube equals 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Quick & Easy and works great.

Thanks everyone. Those are all great tips. I've been having carbonation issues that I haven't been able to resolve. Cane sugar seems to be giving me a slight cider taste, & my last two batches were way to spritzy. ( Almost like soda water) I have some coopers carbonation drops, & I've heard that corn sugar is much better. I've never used either the carb drops, or corn sugar. So I was just curious as to which was better.

dextrose...which is corn sugar, work pretty well. You can use any sugar that ferments. northern brewers calculator actually lists quite a few different sugars to use. Just be careful not to over carb your beer, not all bottles are made equal.

Where I live maple syrup is maybe 20x more expensive than table sugar. Is there some advantage of using this?

The OP mentioned that priming with table sugar gave a cidery taste. Maple syrup doesn't do that and I'm sure other sugar options for priming work well too.

I heard corn sugar is completely flavorless, & won't give off flavors. I seen on the coopers carbonation drops package that they have some corn sugar in them too.

Thanks guys for all the advice. Does anyone have experience using S33 ale yeast? I wanted to pitch some US-05 yesterday, but didn't have any on hand. I was just curious if that S33 was any good. It came with the kit. I really like this red ale recipe, & I think I'm gonna stick with it. I want to use a good yeast on it. So that's why I wanted to use US-05. Or is there a yeast that's designed specifically for an American red ale?

I used S-33 on a Belgian blonde ale back in November. It was very attenuative and I was very pleased with it. I will definitely use it again.

O, OK cool. Thanks for the reply cat daddy. I've read some mixed reviews about the S-33. The US-05 I've read alot of good reviews about it, so I was just wondering. I think maybe I'll try it on my next batch.

Cane sugar does not give beer a cidery taste. More than likely, that's just your beer being "green", too young to drink.

I have a couple of packets of S33 but haven't tried it yet. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a Belgian strain it's English. Fairly neutral with good alcohol tolerance. I've used its cousin T58 a few times and I really like that one.

Substituting cane sugar for a bunch of the malt in a recipe because you're too cheap to buy malt can make a beer "cidery". (BTDT) Adding sugar to a beer that already has plenty of malt is not a problem, unless there's a problem already. The little bit of sugar that you use for priming doesn't hurt anything unless you're brewing a German beer and trying to follow Reinheitsgebot (why would you do that if you don't have to?)

Back