Bottle Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadowstream

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There have been threads here and elsewhere about using carb tabs or pipettes or other techniques to bottle prime. Usually, the question is asked of the OP: why do this, why not just mix sugar into your whole batch and then bottle?

Sometimes, the OP says he/she gets inconsistent carbonation. (I have never experienced this myself, but maybe that happens.)

But, I am interested in doing this for an IPA because I am thinking that multiple transfers will result in loss of aroma. Does anyone think this is silly or think this line of thinking has value?

inconsistent carbonation by mixing the sugar in your bottling vessel has never been an issue for me, It must be a newb mistake, I rack the beer on the sugar, and the beer carbs 100% every time. For the past 7 years.

I'm going to assume that you're avoiding multiple transfers because you're skipping the bottling bucket and bottling from the fermenter (?). Personally, I find that approach to be incredibly messy and stressful and inefficient vs. using a bottling bucket, but maybe that's just me (I'm kinda' high strung, and I bottle in my kitchen, when I do bottle, so making a mess is an issue, and I don't have a lot of space at my disposal). I don't think you're oxidizing all that much by transferring to a bottling bucket (I've never experienced any issues, but then I don't make IPAs). The thing that concerns me is that adding boiled sugar using a bottling bucket is also the most sanitary way to carbonate. I generally don't trust beers that I bottle using carbonating tabs or plain, unboiled corn sugar. I've had gushers (I never get them when I use the bottling bucket and boiled sugar). And I certainly wouldn't trust an entire batch to them. However, some people do this regularly, and you may have better luck with this approach than I've had.

I was considering using a pipette to add a boiled sugar solution to each bottle - so probably no sanitary issues. And I use a sanke keg w triclamp and dip tube to transfer under pressure - pretty reliable.

I am not worried about oxidation ruining beer per se - the yeast will eat that up - but the hop aromas. Hill Farmstead is so paranoid about this that the tell you not to pour your beer in a glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just boil 2C of water in my SS sauce pan for a couple minutes. Then add the weighed amount of priming sugar. Stir till water goes clear again. Cover & cool till I start racking the beer into the bottling bucket with a length of tubing that curls half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then slowly pour the priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer when there's a few inches of beer in there. The act of racking to the bottling bucket won't lower aromas. Of more concern is the fact that it could get infected if cleaned & sanitized equipment isn't used. Or getting oxygenated at that point by not using a racking tube,bottling wand,etc.

I just boil 2C of water in my SS sauce pan for a couple minutes. Then add the weighed amount of priming sugar. Stir till water goes clear again. Cover a cool till I start racking the beer into the bottling bucket with a length of tubing that curls half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. Then slowly pour the priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer when there's a few inches of beer in there.

Right: priming that way is typical and pretty fault-free. I am really focused not on how to prime, but whether priming the bottles directly and eliminating the bottling bucket (or in my case, stainless corny kegs) has a noticeably positive effect on aroma retention. Any thoughts?

Using a bottling bucket won't ruin or otherwise lessen aroma or head retention. Head is formed by dissolved proteins in the beer,but driven by carbonation after pouring it into a glass.

Using a bottling bucket won't ruin or otherwise lessen aroma or head retention. Head is formed by dissolved proteins in the beer,but driven by carbonation after pouring it into a glass.

Thanks for your note. Head retention is not a concern of mine. But aroma/flavor loss is. When the Heddy Topper brewer writes on the can not to pour into a glass because you will lose aroma and flavor, it is hard not to extrapolate to loss of flavor when you push your whole batch into bottling buckets. Isn't it?

I have gone ahead and determined to prime my bottles with a pipette and bottle directly from my sanke fermenter under pressure. I can't see a downside to this, although there may not be an upside!

Back