bottle Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benharper13

Reaction score
I know most people here prefer to use a bottling bucket to prime their beer, I wanted to try bottle priming but I'm confused on how you can keep the teaspoon and the funnel sanitized. I tried putting them in star san but then its all going to clump up when it gets wet. Just wondering what strategies are used for bottle priming to avoid an infection

I don't understand what you are asking.

You measure out the corn sugar and dissolve it in boiling water. Then you cool the solution and pour it into the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it...Am I missing the question here?

I would say add the sugar to boiling water to dissolve it completely then measure the amount that you determine to use in each bottle. That being said I think not too many people want to go through all that and the margin of error is a lot worse with the smaller measurements. If you are determined to try it that way use the carb tabs.

Mr. Ben Harper,

You are thinking way too much. Clean everything you plan to use and then set those things on a surface you also cleaned (preferably with something strong and sterile). Have a few strong beers so you wont worry. Then, carry out what you originally thought might be a botched plan.

In three weeks you'll thank HBT.

Mike

I know most people here prefer to use a bottling bucket to prime their beer, I wanted to try bottle priming but I'm confused on how you can keep the teaspoon and the funnel sanitized. I tried putting them in star san but then its all going to clump up when it gets wet. Just wondering what strategies are used for bottle priming to avoid an infection

This is precisely why I use a bottling bucket. :D You really just clean, sanitize and then let everything dry. Then you hope for the best!

Hi Ben,

I asked this very question earlier in the week, so it's a great question.

1. You can calculate how many cc's of priming solution need to go in each individual bottle (1 cc = 1 teaspoon) and use a large syringe to instill in each bottle (you can buy sterile 30cc or 60cc syringes at your local home healthcare store) then fill your bottles.

2. You place carb tablets in your bottles prior to filling.

3. You can place the cooled priming solution in your bottling bucket and then rack your beer on top of the priming solution. The priming solution will simply combine with your beer. If you're worried the priming solution will be more concentrated on the bottom, use your sanitized paddle and gently swirl your beer being careful not to add extra oxygen into the beer.

I think that about covers it...is that correct, Fellas?

By the way, I was going to do #1, but now I'm going to do #3 next Monday night.

DY

Back