Bottle or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
So, following the advice of many on this board, I put my AHS American Amber Ale in the fermenter three weeks ago and, aside from changing the airlock on the first full day, I've completely left it alone. I planned to bottle today and just checked the gravity. It's reading 1.020. I'm thinking it's done. My Pale Ale stopped in the same place, though shaved a couple more points off over an extra week. It's been fermenting in a 68-70 degree room. Fermenter temp consistently read between 64-66. I had massive krausen over the first two days before it settled.

So, do I bottle tonight?
Do throw a packet of extra yeast in there? I have a packe of Muntons Ale yeast and a packet of Notty. Seems like a waste to throw a packet in to hope for 3 or 4 more points off.
Do I wait an extra week? I'd like to clear out the fermenter, but can wait another week if I have to. I don't want to fall too far behind with my pipleline.

Thanks all.

What was your target gravity for this recipe?

I don't believe AHS gives expected finals with their recipes, but beeralchemy predicted 1015. OG was 1052 according to AHS, but beeralchemy said 1059. My reading was 1057.

Did you use Munton's yeast in your brews? If so, it seems to be rare when Munton's get below 1.020. I did about 20 batches with Munton's before I finally figured that out. I'm a slow learner. :eek:
Switched to Nottingham or S-05 and never had the problem again.

I bottled those first batches (1.020) and they were fine.

I'll bottle today if the gravity hasn't changed. Is there a scientific basis for the 1.020 curse?

It probably has more to do with ABV than SG. The yeast can't handle living in too much alchohol so it ends up dying off right about the time the beer hits the 1.020 range.

Latest posts

Back