Bottle Lager at Lagering temperature??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
Do you guys bottle your lagers to lagering temps and then bring them indoors or bring them in and let them warm before bottling??

If I understand your question, you're asking if we warm up lagers before bottling them or bottle them while cold.

I just bottle mine while still cold, but I don't think it makes a difference.

Well, no, you have to let it warm up in order for it to carbonate in a reasonable amount of time. But you can let it warm up after it is already in the bottles. In fact, the total volume of your beer should warm up quicker that way.

wasn't sure if you had to worry about the volume of the beer expanding too much in the bottle with such a temp change. I know with wine I see a large expension in the bottle if it gets warm. Actually had wine seep thru the cork before

Huh, I've never really thought of that before. Well, all I can say is it's never been an issue for me. I've bottled cold and warm beers and never noticed a difference in volume once it warm up or cools down.

Obviously the volume has to change, but the change must be insignificant.

Back