Bottle half now, half later... contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acburke01

Reaction score
I am Currently Bottling a Chile bourbon oaked imperial stout. After bottling about half I realized it doesn’t have quite the Chile taste that I had hoped for. I stopped bottling and I am going to let the beer sit on another Chile, a bit of cocoa, etc for 5 days... my question is, with half the carboy still full and exposed to oxygen, should I be worried about the beer getting too oxidized or contaminated while it sits in the carboy?

A bit more More info... I have been aging this in secondary for about 6 months now. It tastes great as it is, although I want a bit more of that heat from the chile peppers. I am using carb drops in the bottles so no need to worry about priming sugar. I have also resealed the carboy as usual.

Thanks in advance all!

I'd be more worried about oxidation than contamination. Personally, I'd bottle as is and learn for next time that more chilli is needed.

I concur with @Gnomebrewer . I would not worry too much about contamination, but oxidation could be a real possibility, as half of that carboy is now full with air.
Now an aged imperial stout might stand some oxydation better than other styles (hoppy styles in particular). But I wouldn't want to try this with any beer, personally.
I would now bottle the rest as soon as possible.

Back