Bottle grabber ((easiest DIY ever)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skagdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Problem: How do I get the tons of free bottles available to me at the dump without climbing in a dumpster full of glass, some of which is broken?

Solution: Old hockey stick, para cord, hockey tape. Basically one of those dog catcher things.

1) Saw the broken blade off the hockey stick
2) tie a knot on one end of the cord
3) tape that end to the bottom of the stick
4) make small loops with tape to prevent cord wrap and lend to a clean appearance.
5) secure tape loops to stick, thread cord through the eyes (fishin' pole style)
6) go to dump and collect free bottles without climbing in the dumpster filled with glass, broken or otherwise!!

Very juvenile write up but this one will provide instant financial savings and could prevent a trip to the ER after a swim in a glass filled dumpster!

Happy Brewing!

image-1203688662.jpg

image-2451733036.jpg

image-68995170.jpg

I've never had to go to a dump to get enough bottles, but a good idea. Something only a homebrewer would ever think about...

I go to the recyling dumpster and have scored quite a few bombers, which makes bottling day much faster. I'm going to drink 22oz. at a time anyways... :drunk:

30 minute score! I got enough wine bottles to rack my Apfelwein collection to bottles. I also scored 6 bombers. There were tones of pop tops but I've still got quite a supply of those.

A good soak is in store then it's off to the LHBS to borrow their corker. This is now a weekly check for me!

image-2091600986.jpg

Genius! I have often had the dilemma of to dive or not to dive. This would certainly alleviate that to a degree!

30 minute score! I got enough wine bottles to rack my Apfelwein collection to bottles. I also scored 6 bombers. There were tones of pop tops but I've still got quite a supply of those.

A good soak is in store then it's off to the LHBS to borrow their corker. This is now a weekly check for me!

Nice project. I play hockey but haven't used a wooden stick in ages. You sometimes see them in locker room garbage cans when people break them though. Can't say I've thought about dumpster diving for bottles. The one distributor nearby had a sampling day once and had tons of empty cases of bottles. They were more than happy to give them to me when I asked, so I'm set on bottles for quite a while.

Your trunk looks awfully familiar, 05-09 Subaru Legacy? :)

Total count is 39 useable wine bottles and 6 bombers. There were seven wine bottles with small cracks around the mouths.

BTW, the winos sure know how to stick on a label! I've got all but 10 cleaned after a quick soak in Oxy. The last ten will soak til tomorrow.

Case of 12 wine bottles= $23.99

39 free at the dump=free!! (Roughly $72 value!!)

Bombers go 12 for $24.95 so I got 12 bucks there, too.

I saved enough dough today to get dancin' bananas for everyone: :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Nice project. I play hockey but haven't used a wooden stick in ages. You sometimes see them in locker room garbage cans when people break them though. Can't say I've thought about dumpster diving for bottles. The one distributor nearby had a sampling day once and had tons of empty cases of bottles. They were more than happy to give them to me when I asked, so I'm set on bottles for quite a while.

Your trunk looks awfully familiar, 05-09 Subaru Legacy? :)

I use composite sticks now but I still have a "collection" of old ones I use for everything from propping my Jeep tailgate up to poking campfires to playing in the driveway with my kids.

'08 Legacy, BTW, good eye.:mug:

You're insane... :rockin: But rock on my friend! :)

Total count is 39 useable wine bottles and 6 bombers. There were seven wine bottles with small cracks around the mouths.

BTW, the winos sure know how to stick on a label! I've got all but 10 cleaned after a quick soak in Oxy. The last ten will soak til tomorrow.

Case of 12 wine bottles= $23.99

39 free at the dump=free!! (Roughly $72 value!!)

Bombers go 12 for $24.95 so I got 12 bucks there, too.

I saved enough dough today to get dancin' bananas for everyone: :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

I use composite sticks now but I still have a "collection" of old ones I use for everything from propping my Jeep tailgate up to poking campfires to playing in the driveway with my kids.

'08 Legacy, BTW, good eye.:mug:

Back