Bottle from Keg - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vallonswayla

Reaction score
Hello-

I was just wondering, if you bottle from a keg and store the bottles does the carbonation hold up?

I'm just questioning whether that's a longer term option, or if the intent is to consume the bottled from keg beer in a shorter period of time.

Thanks

Once you cap the bottles, the CO2 has nowhere to go and will "hold up" just fine for a very long time. Months. Years? Just, of course, be gentle bottling so as not to agitate the CO2 out of the beer while pouring.

Once you cap the bottles, the CO2 has nowhere to go and will "hold up" just fine for a very long time. Months. Years?

It will hold for years. I can't say my ales do this, but the last bottle of my "Orange Blossom Special" gingermead was excellent after more than a decade in the bottle.

Last edited:
oxidation is really the only think you gotta worry about in terms of long term storage. You will also lose some carbonation due to headspace left in the bottle. So better to carb the keg with a few extra PSI that your actual desired level. Also, chill the bottle down cold before filling to keep it from foaming

Counterpressure filling is the way to go in my opinion if you wanna limit carbonation loss.

you can rig something up with a stopper and a bottling wand like this

But if you wanna go fancy get one of these. This lets you do a CO2 purge in the bottle before counterpressure filling.

https://shop.greatfermentations.com...iller/tapcooler-bottle-filler-and-accessories
I prefer this kind of setup to a blichman bottling gun that does not rely on counterpressure

Be aware the counterpressure filling is technically not as safe since you are pressurizing the bottles. However, as long as you are using bottles in good condition that are graded for pressure its nothing to worry about. Some people wear safety glasses as a precaution. I've never had a bottle crack on me though.

Back