Bottle filling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodv

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how breweries fill their bottles? I meen if the filling is done by measuring the amount that goes into the bottles, or if it is done by some sort of timing to ensure the right amount is filled?

I am trying to build an automated filler, but I am struggeling to get the amount in the bottles correct?

any suggestions?

Bottles sized to same volume. Insert filler nozzle. Fill till overflowing. Remove filler nozzle which also creates the correct headspace. Cap it.

Never knew what became of the overflowed beer.

Maybe they've come up with something else since the 50 year old videos I saw many years ago.

i was just thinking about a deisgn utilizing some sort of tappered tube, with a float ball, that way when the bottle was full the float ball would shut off the flow to the bottle....

Bottles sized to same volume. Insert filler nozzle. Fill till overflowing. Remove filler nozzle which also creates the correct headspace. Cap it.

Maybe they've come up with something else since the 50 year old videos I saw many years ago.
But is it a sensor to measure the volume, or is it a timer that controls flow of liquid. Manually it is not a problem, but I am trying to make it automatic.

If you can't guarantee a even flow rate through the nozzles, then a timer might be more wasteful of beer or you get less than advertised volume.

I'd think a sensor of some sort. Photo cell maybe? Something on the nozzles that kicks them off like the gasoline pump have. All sorts of stuff.

Don't worry about what they do. Worry about what you know how to use and build into your design. You just have to think out of the box and use what you know how to work with.

@Frodv
Are you trying to speed up the bottling process or build your own production line, bottles in one end and capped beer out the other.
It is more like a production line. The speed is not that important if I can get it automated.

I believe there's a sensor on the diptube that goes into the bottle (for smaller bottling machines). If the sensor touches liquid, supply stops and diptube is raised. I believe large commercial breweries use timing or in-line volume measuring.

Lots of DIY bottle filling machines on You Tube. It looks like the automated versions are mostly using a pump I'm not sure that's going to be suitable for beer, also you need to put the fill tube in the bottom of the bottle, give it a shot of CO2, then fill with beer.
Here's a video that shows an inexpensive non-automated arrangement that requires 2 people:

It's easy if only one or two types of bottles is used.

Timer, if flow rate is fixed.
weight.
volume.
distance sensor.
detecting beer level by resistance.

I am building a filling assistant which measured by weight currently:

used in two batches. Still a lot to be done, but satisfying so far.

When I toured the St Louis Brewery in college they told us that the beer going into the floor drains was Natty Light. The overflow beer you're talking about is probably a little higher quality, maybe Busch.

Latest posts

Back