Quantcast

Bottle fermentation /Pressure Issue

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SpeedyP85

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've done my first 1 gallon batch of mead and bottled, now my bottle are sitting and aging. This morning I walked by and saw one cork sitting on the ground and some mist of mead everywhere. The bottle popped and a second one seemed like it was going to pop. Looks like the fermentation was not done and now there's pressure in the regular clear wine bottles. What the best way to fix this, I was thinking of removing the corks and ''de-fizzing" the mead or maybe mix some camben tabs with water and add a tiny bit to each bottle ?. Really not sure what to do, not looking for a sparkling mead since the bottles can't take it. here more info on the process

- standard mead
- OG 1.1
-FG 1.02
- 1 gallon
- 1 month primary
- 6 months secondary
- no sulfates
- very slow fermentation
- D47 yeast

Thanks for your help.
117772772_2718475131757691_2863216949803806414_n.jpg

SimPilot

Reaction score
Before popping corks, make sure to chill your bottles to near 0C so you don't loose too much of your brew.

OP
S

SpeedyP85

Reaction score
good thing you mention that because i did not think about that eheh

OP
S

SpeedyP85

Reaction score
I've opened a second bottle and no pressure or fizz at all. Why would one bottle pressurize and other not. All coming from the same 1 gallon batch.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
With a final gravity of about 20 points that is about 8 oz of sugar remaining in the gallon so unless you had stabilized the wine or you had used sterile filters to remove the yeast the likelihood of fermentation picking up again in each and every bottle is almost a dead cert. If, so far, only one bottle has shown evidence of refermentation I can think of two possible reasons.
1. When you sanitized the bottles before filling them one bottle was less well sanitized and so it is taking longer for the residual yeast in the other bottles to get their act together, but get their act together they will.
2. The corks in the other bottles are not as perfectly sealing the bottles as the cork in the first bottle and so any CO2 being produced is escaping.

Given the fact that you know the FG was 1.020 and given the fact that at least one bottle appears to have been fermenting the residual sugars I would measure the gravity in all bottles to see if they are refermenting too.