Bottle Drying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
How long does it take bottles to dry? I used a 1 oz 6% bleach per 5 gallon water, then added 1 oz white vinegar per 5 gallon water as well to lower pH to make it an effective killer. The founder of 5 Star Chemicals (StarSan) says that's a rinse-free concentration. But how long until I can bottle? I don't want any of the solution still in the bottles when I do!

Well I didn't, I used the owner of Star San's instructions and made an effective bleach solution because I had the materials already so it's cheap and I have a scale so I measured accurately. Anyone know dry time? I put them to dry in 2 boxes that I sprayed down with sanitizer and covered them gently with a few paper towels.

Did the instructions say it needed to dry before use? How long it takes to dry will depend on the temp, humidity, bottle position and a bunch of other things. Upside down at room temp under 50% humidity with air circulation Id say you are safe after an hour. But its a guess.

When I am drying my bottles, I will set them in 12 pack boxes with a paper towel covering the tops and set up side down. They are usually dry in an hour or two. Also like lapagila said, if you used the StarSan no need to let dry, don't fear the foam.

I'm looking for some Star San locally... would any hardware store have it? I know it was made originally for the dairy industry but is it only packaged in small quantities for homebrewing supply stores? I really don't wanna drive 45 min for this stuff and I forgot to place it on my order from AHS today...

Don't put too much into it. If you use Star San or Idophor you really don't need to dry the bottles. I never have and never have had any issues.

The founder of 5 Star Chemicals (StarSan) says that's a rinse-free concentration. But how long until I can bottle? I don't want any of the solution still in the bottles when I do!

No-rinse (or rinsefree) generally means sanitize, drain out the excess, and bottle. No drying, nothing. Just bottle.

I'd have to listen to that podcast again to see if the StarSan fellow meant it that way.

You used a vinegar/bleach solution to sanitize? Did you rinse well, or just let dry thoroughly?

+1

The instructions you got, were they for a bleach solution? Or did you use the starsan mixing instructions and substitute in bleach?

When using Bleach you NEED to rinse WELL with hot water. Bleach in your beer will not be good, For the beer or you I would imagine.

Switch to starsan and DON'T FEAR THE FOAM. Rack right on top of it.

If i'm correct the OP is referring to an episode of BB Radio where the Star San guy says you can use 1 oz each of vinegar and bleach in 5 gallons of water to sanitize. This mix DOES require rinsing. +1 million on picking up some star san. Its really just as cheap if you mix it with distilled water. It keeps forever and is SUPER EASY!

You do not WANT your no-rinse sanitizer to dry....if you do it looses it's efficacy. You want residual starsan, onestep (not really a sanitizer, but will do) or iodophor on the surface. If it dries out then any micro organisim that comes in contact with the surface will not be killed!

These are wet contact sanitizers!

I put a lot of good info on sanitization and sanitizers into this thread last year...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Yes I did the 1oz bleach in 5 gal H2O then added 1oz vinegar.... I did not rinse with water but let air dry for more than an hour....

AM I GONNA DIE IF I DRINK THIS BEER? I was sure he said that's no-rinse at that concentration, I hope I'm not wrong.

I'm looking for some Star San locally... would any hardware store have it? I know it was made originally for the dairy industry but is it only packaged in small quantities for homebrewing supply stores? I really don't wanna drive 45 min for this stuff and I forgot to place it on my order from AHS today...

Call and see if you can add it. They will do it for you.

Also, I know the podcast you are talking about, I quote Charlie Talley:
"1 oz [bleach] in 5 gallons will produce 80ppm chlorine...followed with 1 oz of vinegar...at that level rinsing is not required...at 80ppm it is virtually impossible to taste."

You are right assuming he is right (I trust him). Beer will be fine.

Thank God. I was freaking out for a minute at the thought of having to dump my first batch! I'll call them right now, I hope it doesn't delay my order... I got an extra carboy to start my next batch and I'm antsy! I figure if I start brewing a few more batches it'll put me at ease and I'll leave em in primary/bottles for longer since I'll have my first batch to drink!

You do not WANT your no-rinse sanitizer to dry....if you do it looses it's efficacy. You want residual starsan, onestep (not really a sanitizer, but will do) or iodophor on the surface. If it dries out then any micro organisim that comes in contact with the surface will not be killed!

These are wet contact sanitizers!

I put a lot of good info on sanitization and sanitizers into this thread last year...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Listen to Revvy, he has alot of knowledge. Plus if you look at his Avatar, he is a preacher. :D

I just bought StarSan for the first time and have yet to brew with it. I love it. I used it for preparing a keg the other day ( for some commercial craft beer) and it was awesum. no rinse (I'd used One-Step before that and always had a residue on my equipment) and I poured some of the remainder in a spray bottle and can use that for sanitizing all kinds of stuff whenever I want.

Not that expensive if mixed right and use efficiently.

Back