Bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreWay78

Reaction score
So I packaged my first batch almost 2 weeks ago and my co-brewer is coming Saturday for a visit before he takes off to Greece for a week and wants to sample our beer. It will be 2 days early (by conditioning standards), but will it hurt to open one a few days early? It's a Chocolate Ale, brewed earlier this month (9th), packaged on the 20th, and used fructose for carbonation.

No, it doesn't hurt. It will give you first hand knowledge about the progress of carbonation. I'll open one after four or five days to see how the flavor is progressing but knowing full well it won't be ready.
In fact, I don't know anyone who's been able to wait until a beer is totally finished before trying a few when they're new to brewing.
Carbonation and bottle conditioning does depend on a handful of factors, such as room temperature and style, but it's not limited to that.
There's a great thread on bottle conditioning on this site when you have the time.

How strong is your Chocolate Ale and did you add anything to it post-fermentation? ( cocoa nibs/beans, vanilla, etc. )

I bottle all my beer, so patience is a must, but that does not happen. I usually try a few bottles at day 7, 10 and at around 2 weeks, so I can get an idea if the beer is good, if the carbonation is OK, etc. All beers under 8%, are already plenty carbonated by day 7-10. Higher ABV and more complex beer, tend to benefit from extended aging, upwards of 2 months.

I try all my beers when they are young and also a few months after, just to note down, how it aged. I do this with all styles of beer.

I have done the same. It was a Belgian dark strong ale and all were gone but for one, single bottle at the three month mark. Up to that point, the beer was alright but I had decided that I wouldn't make it again. Then I drank that last bottle and it was almost like night and day. It was so much better and an excellent lesson on bottle conditioning.

Not too early at all. I think it’s best to try early to sample and get to know the direction your Beer is headed. Trying bottles every week or so will let you know if the carbonation is right to your liking before cold storing the bottles when “ready” to your liking

My Belgian tripels (9+ ABVs), for some reason, carbonate quickly in 4-5 days (still doesn't mean they're ready). But, as has been stated, stronger ones take longer and that has been my experience as well for dark beers. Back when I was making DIPAs (8.5+ ABV), they were lighter in color but also carbed fast relative to dark ones of the same ABV.
My first Belgian dark strong ale took 4-5 WEEKS to be carbonated pleasantly. But I'll check one of those nowadays (and did recently) after a short amount of time to see the progress.
I would appreciate a short, simply-put answer as to why this is so, or, I could just take my own advice and wade through the bottle conditioning posts.

I almost always test a beer at about 2 weeks. Most are carbonated, some not so much. All have tasted pretty good. All have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer. For malty high gravity beers sometimes the peak for flavor is many months later. One was pretty harsh for 6 months then mellowed and was a great one on a given night for another 2+ years.

How strong is your Chocolate Ale and did you add anything to it post-fermentation? ( cocoa nibs/beans, vanilla, etc. )

I bottle all my beer, so patience is a must, but that does not happen. I usually try a few bottles at day 7, 10 and at around 2 weeks, so I can get an idea if the beer is good, if the carbonation is OK, etc. All beers under 8%, are already plenty carbonated by day 7-10. Higher ABV and more complex beer, tend to benefit from extended aging, upwards of 2 months.

I try all my beers when they are young and also a few months after, just to note down, how it aged. I do this with all styles of beer.
I didnt add anything to it during or after fermentation. I really just wanted this as a base to add some flavors later to make it my own. Thanks for the info!!

It's about 5.7%

The important thing is managing expectations. It's fine to sample the beer, but realize it's probably not at it's best yet.

Nobody is going to convince me not to open my latest batch too soon. But I usually fill a 7 ounce bottle or plastic Coke bottle, as either a "drink me first" or test bottle.

Nobody is going to convince me not to open my latest batch too soon. But I usually fill a 7 ounce bottle or plastic Coke bottle, as either a "drink me first" or test bottle.
I sampled a bottle last week, then this week. It just keeps getting better!! WOW!! All of my anxieties have been dissolved. Many thanks to all of you!! Now on to the next batches!!

Back