bottle conditioning vs Keg carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
if you have done both can you explain if there difference when it comes to flavore side ? Which one of these is taste better ?

Not much difference but no issues with spent yeast lees that you get in bottles.
that being said I prefer kegs.

Flavor, i have not noticed any at all. I will say i do Love kegging though. So much easier, and is not time consuming. Only 1 bottle (keg) to clean and sanitize, I fill my keg straight from my fermentor, so no extra bucket to clean. I have carbed a keg naturally, when My keezer was full.

I’ve done both, and made good beers with both methods. I think you can get to a finished product a little faster in a keg, but you lose out on the portability of bottles.
I made the switch to kegging because I just don’t have the time to devote to bottling anymore. Too many kids and chores.

If anyone claims there is a difference, it's only because they experienced the beer in two different stages of maturation along with other variable not necessarily tied to the container. That's to say, bottle conditioning forces the brewer to allow for maturation and settling for the 2-3 weeks it takes to reach full carbonation. On the other hand, keg carbonation is like the wild west. People arrive at carbonation levels well plus and minus of ideal and generally start drinking before the beer has settled clear. Those people tend to remember bottle conditioned beers as tasting better with a more lasting fine bubble head. T

Back