Bottle Conditioning: The Wait is worth it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
I have noticed that if I drink a beer I had bottled 2 weeks after bottling day, it is usually somewhat disappointing.
My scotch ale didn't have that malty profile for at least 4 weeks, and the hop profile for my IPAs don't really come through until 3 weeks to the day after bottling.

I am just curious in the case of my IPAs as to why the hops don't really come through for 3 weeks.

I am not sure about the IPAs because I try to drink them fast and never considered conditioning them; however, I've had a beer that was just boozy and green shine 8 months later. Bottle conditioning is absolutely worth it. I'm with you.

I've noticed this as well. After I bottle my IPAs I typically let them sit for 2 weeks before trying one. The first few are usually nice and bitter, and quite hoppy, but not very balanced. They seem to need another week or 2 before they mellow and balance the hop flavor out.

What temp do you guys bottle condition at? I don't seem to get proper carbonation for a month or more...

What temp do you guys bottle condition at? I don't seem to get proper carbonation for a month or more...

My basement is usually 64-68 degrees. Prime with corn sugar .8 ounces per gallon by weight. Given that I am properly carbonated at 2 weeks, but need at least another week for the beer to be good.

My basement is usually 64-68 degrees. Prime with corn sugar .8 ounces per gallon by weight. Given that I am properly carbonated at 2 weeks, but need at least another week for the beer to be good.

Thats quite a bit warmer than for me, I probably average that inside the house for the first week, but then they go into the basement at 50-55. although we are getting towards the end of winter here so that may increase a bit. I have been priming with carbonation drops (2/750ml) but they are a pain as I have to invert the bottle once the drops have dissolved.

Ive been letting my bottles sit upstairs where its around 70-75F. Maybe thats too warm..my basement stays around 65-68, should I keep them there?

My bottles sit upstairs in the closet of my man cave. It's 78F up here almost all the time. I'm usually fully carbed by two weeks, but I let it condition at least another week before drinking.

Back