Bottle conditioning temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
I live in Hawaii. It's warm here. I have a small chest freezer I use as a fermentation chamber (60 degrees or whatever the range is for the yeast I'm using). When I bottle I just store the beers in a spare room. It can get around 70-80 degrees in there.
So far I haven't had a problem, no explosions or anything. The beers carb up nicely in about 2 weeks and then I'm drinking them. Is it beneficial to store the bottles at a lower temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I envy you the warmer temps, I have to put mine into a fermentation chamber set to 75F to get them to carb up as fast as I'd like them to, as I keep my house at 65F-68F. Lower temps for carbonation will just slow the process, so really, you're fine. HOWEVER, once they are carbed, you will greatly extend their life if you keep them as cold as possible. Once carbed, I store all my beer at 35F, unless I'm trying to get something out of it from aging, like a Scottish or a Barleywine, and even then stable cellar temps (50-60ish) are where you'd like to keep them.

I live in Hawaii. It's warm here. I have a small chest freezer I use as a fermentation chamber (60 degrees or whatever the range is for the yeast I'm using). When I bottle I just store the beers in a spare room. It can get around 70-80 degrees in there.
So far I haven't had a problem, no explosions or anything. The beers carb up nicely in about 2 weeks and then I'm drinking them. Is it beneficial to store the bottles at a lower temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I started brewing in March last year so this February was my first since I started and it was hot here (I am in South Africa). I don't think storing beer for a short period at higher temps is a major issue, but I think it helps if you keep the beer at least a week or two in the temperature range of the yeast before chilling and drinking. That way the yeast will be able to clean up any off flavours generated during the storage time at the higher temps.

Bottle carbing & conditioning is not the same as primary fermentation. Carbing & conditioning at 70 or more is fine & won't produce any off-flavors. It's a sealed environment,unlike a vented primary. Giving the beer 3-7 days after FG is reached in primary gives the yeast time to digest the by products of fermentation that produce off flavors. So that's where the off flavors are mostly scrubbed. Bottle conditioning time for 3-4 weeks at 70F or more will help as well. But the bulk of it happens in primary after FG is reached.

Bottle carbing & conditioning is not the same as primary fermentation. Carbing & conditioning at 70 or more is fine & won't produce any off-flavors. It's a sealed environment,unlike a vented primary. Giving the beer 3-7 days after FG is reached in primary gives the yeast time to digest the by products of fermentation that produce off flavors. So that's where the off flavors are mostly scrubbed. Bottle conditioning time for 3-4 weeks at 70F or more will help as well. But the bulk of it happens in primary after FG is reached.

I am quite interested in this and as a relative newbie I am still learning. I bottled an amber ale in late January (it was in primary for 2 weeks so definitely had time to clean up). For most of the 4 weeks after I bottled it the temperature where the beers were was between 24 and 31 Celsius (they were in the coolest place in the house).

The first few beers I had were in Grolsch bottles and there were definitely some off flavours - but once the grolsch bottles had been in the fridge for a week the flavours disappeared. The temperatures have since cooled and the other bottles (which are capped) and have been stored at around 20 degrees have tasted fine. Thats why I proposed my theory above!;)

Maybe the beer turned the corner a week after I opened the first few. Maybe the rubber seals gave an off flavour.

Back