Bottle Conditioning Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
As summer approaches I am starting to stress temp control. I have solved my fermentation concerns (gonna get one of those Igloo Ice Cube coolers), but what about bottle conditioning. How concerned do I need to be that my bottles will be exposed to 80 deg heat during conditioning? Should I find a way to get them in a cooler place or will they be okay?

I would absolutely find a way to keep them cooler. 80 °F is high. Especially for anything that showcases hop aroma, from what I understand. However that being said, many of the traditionally brewed Belgian beers (and some breweries like Ommegang) referment in warm rooms. Maybe a shift in styles is in order? :D

I had to get rid of a lot of beer that was stored above 75. I didn't get bombs, but the flavor went way off. I noticed yeast accumulating on the inside of the bottles. A couple even went watery which tells me the yeast woke up and went to work on the non-fermentables.

Hopefully the work I have done in the storage area will address the temp problem This summer.

It was a waste of good beer. If you can keep the temps down, do it.

Barry

Jaded, you might consider making an intro into kegs and get a fridge. You can fit a good deal of beer in kegs inside a fridge. More than you can bottles. Just a thought. Here's an extreme idea. If you could somehow make an in-ground storage area it would be ideal. The ground in RI should stay plenty cool.

Unfortunately for me I live in an apartment and space is at a premium. Not sure the wife will go for an extra fridge other than a small dorm size. I have been thinking about kegging and converting the 4912 I have, not sure I'm quite there yet.

What do you guys think about getting a 7cu chest freezer and temp controller for storing cases? Either than or I'll have to build a chiller.

TheJadedDog said:
Unfortunately for me I live in an apartment and space is at a premium. Not sure the wife will go for an extra fridge other than a small dorm size. I have been thinking about kegging and converting the 4912 I have, not sure I'm quite there yet.

What do you guys think about getting a 7cu chest freezer and temp controller for storing cases? Either than or I'll have to build a chiller.
That would certainly work - do you have any basement storage area to put it in? That is exactly what I did before I bought a house.

Any size freezer w/ temp controller will work, the bigger the freezer, the more bottles.

What about using coolers with frozen bottles of water for keeping the bottle temp down? If it would work for fermentation it should work for bottle conditioning too right?

My biggest problem is that I live in an apartment with very little space and no where to handle a project like building a chiller.

TheJadedDog said:
What about using coolers with frozen bottles of water for keeping the bottle temp down? If it would work for fermentation it should work for bottle conditioning too right?

My biggest problem is that I live in an apartment with very little space and no where to handle a project like building a chiller.
That would work too, but then you would have to change out the bottles every day or so - bottle conditioning can take weeks and/or months. That is a long time to switch out water bottles.

Do we also need to fret about high temps during secondary "fermentation"? Since it's not a true fermentation persay, is it ok if the temps are a bit high?

I'm having the same frets as the OP. I've got tons of beer and not a place to put them. Been considering building a fermentation chiller, but what about secondary and bottles?

I know that secondary temp is important and should be about the same as primary temp.

Based on all the responses that I need to get the bottle temp down I am making plans to:

1) switch to kegging so I can hold 2 kegged batches in my sanyo 4912 (original plan when I bought the fridge)

2) purchase a cooler to convert to fermentation chamber so both primary and secondary (only 1 batch at a time in the summer months)

3) possibly purchase additional coolers for bottle/keg storage (I think the 70qt igloo icecube may hold a keg or two and it looks like the Coleman Xtreme 36qt or 50qt might be able to handle 48 bottles; will keep you posted) or build a cooling chamber if I feel like going all out.

Back