Bottle Conditioning Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDRJ

Reaction score
I know what you are thinking, "Hey look another bottle conditioning post, my lucky day!" and before you ask, yes I have read a bunch of the other posts on the subject.

I think I know the answer to this but wouldn't mind another opinion on the matter.

To give a little background,I have brewed and bottled my 3rd batch of beer last week, a Coopers Canadian Blonde using exactly what the can asked for, a Coopers brew enhancer and that is it.

I bottled on the 28th and have kept my bottles inside a cupboard in my basement. It was not until yesterday that I went out and bought a digital thermometer and placed it inside the cupboard and when I checked on it this afternoon it read 16.5 C (61 F)

Now I have kept my other batches in the same place and both previous batches (first being a Coopers Wheat and the second a Coopers Cerveza) have had a bit of a cider/white wine taste. One friend described it as a champagne taste.

Now my questions would be, is that too cold to condition the bottles?

If it is I do have another closet upstairs that Is closer to 20-21C would that work?

If it is ok at that temp but would only require me to wait longer I am ok with that, but I wanted to get other opinions.

Thank you all in advance for your advice :)

It is probably a little too cool, but I cant imagine why it would cause any sort of issues. Like you mentioned, it will probably just take longer to carb. I would recommend that you do move them upstairs. 70 degrees (F) is perfect for carbing a beer, so if you can manage that, do it

I managed to move them upstairs where the temp looks to be 19-20.
I think I will leave them for at least a month just to be sure.

I am wondering if the lower temp has had anything to do with the cider/wine tastes.

I managed to move them upstairs where the temp looks to be 19-20.
I think I will leave them for at least a month just to be sure.

I am wondering if the lower temp has had anything to do with the cider/wine tastes.

Probably not. Granted, bottle conditioning relies on active fermentation but its such a small process that any off flavors should be negligible. Any sort of perceived off flavor (cidery/wine) was likely a cause of something during fermentation AND/OR your process. Did you keep your ferm temps in check? What yeast were you using?

I used the Coopers yeast it came with and the temp during fermenting was at 21C for the first day, and then 18C all the way till day 14

Did you use corn sugar in the brewing process? If so, how much? Cuz I know excess amounts of corn sugar can cause Acetaldehyde which is known to have a cidery/wine taste

I did use the recommended dextrose amounts for both batches of the wheat and cerveza.
Both batches sat at 18C for a good while until I bottled.

I did use the recommended dextrose amounts for both batches of the wheat and cerveza.
Both batches sat at 18C for a good while until I bottled.

What was the amount recommended for the "Cidery Beer" and what was the batch size?

Both batches were 5 gal batches.

The wheat called for 500g of DME and 300g of dextrose.
The cerveza calls for 1kg of brew enhancer 2 which is (500g Dex, 250g LDM, 250g maltodextrin)

I have noticed that the taste has got better on the cerveza coming up to week 3 now.

The wheat was better with an orange and did not last long :p

Both batches were 5 gal batches.

The wheat called for 500g of DME and 300g of dextrose.
The cerveza calls for 1kg of brew enhancer 2 which is (500g Dex, 250g LDM, 250g maltodextrin)

I have noticed that the taste has got better on the cerveza coming up to week 3 now.

The wheat was better with an orange and did not last long :p

I think thats your issue there. From what Ive read in the past, over 1 pound of dextrose per 5 gals can cause Acetaldehyde, which Im not sure if that fades over time.

If they were too cold, they would be flat. Is the carbonation level OK?

Wine/cider sounds like acetobacter infection. Is it the dominant taste, or does it taste like beer with a slight wine flavor?

I think I will leave them for at least a month just to be sure

Good idea.

I bottle condition cold. Much colder than your 61 degrees for most beers and they always carb up and never produce off flavors as a result.
I wait a month before I start into them and by six weeks I am pretty happy with the results though I am not afraid to let some beers condition for many months if I think it will compliment the time, effort and money I put into them.
If you need them carbed faster store them warmer but if you want them conditioned then time is your huckleberry.

If they were too cold, they would be flat. Is the carbonation level OK?

Wine/cider sounds like acetobacter infection. Is it the dominant taste, or does it taste like beer with a slight wine flavor?

Carbonation level is good no complaints there.

It tastes like beer with a slight wine taste.

Back