bottle conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
something like BM Cent. Blonde, for those of you who bottle condition, how long after bottling do you finally feel its "ready"?

i'm worried my temp's in the basement got a little high, no higher then 71 or 72. and it was my 3rd all-grain batch (BM Cent. Blonde). but after 2 weeks in bottles it tasted great, but maybe just a little green, carb'ed up well and everything. i had two last night...its now in bottles like 3.5 weeks and it tasted like rubbing alcohol mixed with the beer. its still drink able, but no where near what the bottles i had 1.5 weeks ago. these have been in the frig for about 4 days before i had them last night. the ones i had a 1.5 weeks ago were only in the frig maybe 2 days.

so i have some more in the frig, i hope its just a freak thing with two bottles, the beer tasted so good when i tried the first bottles.

All of my brews have been carbed in three days at room temp of ~72f plus one day in the fridge. Many have tasted great in a week. Some take more like three weeks. I've not done any big or hopy beers yet.

Evan...you've asked a question that is pretty personal. Don't worry about your 71 temp issue...you're fine...but start putting beer in the fridge. Week 1 have one...week 2 have one....week 3 have one...on and on and on. You'll run out sooner than you'd like, but you'll learn a LOT!

Beer is weird. Sometimes, it's really weird. I had a batch that tasted great coming out of the primary, tasted like cheap vodka going into the keg, and then turned into a fantastic beer over the next several weeks.

I wouldn't worry about it. You might be in that cheap vodka stage. Give those bottle some more time.

TL

thanks everyone. i'll give it some more time. beer is weird sometimes i guess.

Back