Bottle conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
Hey whats up?

So I bottled my AHS Texas ale on Saturday, and I am going to test a bottle at the one week mark.

I bottled some in PET bottles to keep track of carbonation, and three days after bottling, they are rock hard. If the brew has a good head on it at one week, Would it be wise to cold condition the rest of the batch for the remaining two weeks?

Thanks.

I'm fairly new at brewing but I think you would be better off letting them condition at their current temperture for a few more weeks before cold conditioning. Atleast make sure there are no off-flavors before cold conditioning.

Of course I'm a newbie so I could be wrong.

Don't even bother to taste after one week. I'd say 3-weeks is the absolute minimum if theres no other beer available. And once your pipeline starts up, you will gladly wait a week or two longer. The taste grows and improves exponentially.

Don't even bother to taste after one week. I'd say 3-weeks is the absolute minimum if theres no other beer available. And once your pipeline starts up, you will gladly wait a week or two longer. The taste grows and improves exponentially.

+1...or try one, but don't judge....

And read this....Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

The thought of over carbonation did cross my mind. That was another reason I was thinking about chilling early so it doesn't become too carbed.

But I think I'll just leave them at room temp for the full three weeks. I mean that method hasn't steered me wrong yet. IDK, we'll see in a few weeks I suppose.

What ever you do be sure to refrigerate the one you plan on opening for at least 24 hours before opening it. DO NOT do the "just stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes" thing.

What ever you do be sure to refrigerate the one you plan on opening for at least 24 hours before opening it. DO NOT do the "just stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes" thing.

Curious why you recommended this? Is this to drop any yeast out of suspension before drinking?

I'm curious as well.. I have found myself doing the 15 min in the freezer thing every once in awhile... Is there a negative effect when doing this?

Cold liquid holds more CO2 than warm, but it takes time. As the beer sits in the fridge it will absorb CO2 from the headspace. Tossing it in the freezer for 15 minutes may make it cold, but won't really tell you what the carbonation will be like.

Cold liquid holds more CO2 than warm, but it takes time. As the beer sits in the fridge it will absorb CO2 from the headspace. Tossing it in the freezer for 15 minutes may make it cold, but won't really tell you what the carbonation will be like.

Of course! Thanks for the explanation! :mug:

Back