Bottle conditioning ESBs take forever!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
Riddle me this,

Why does it take my ESB's over 3 months in the bottles to peak enough where it actually tastes just as good as commercial examples. After a month in the bottles they are carbonated but that Maris Otter base malt flavor is non existence until 3-4 months. If you ever had fuller's ESB or London pride that nutty malty rich character takes forever to develop me. It seems like these commercial guys can pull this flavor off within 1 month. I just don't get it. I tried a few ESB recipes and I cant get the maturation process to speed up. I really dont enjoy a good ESB until that malt character is in your face and i dont want to wait that long!!!!! LOL

Any suggestions on process or recipe formulation that may shorten the conditioning stage?

Most of my recipes are 90% Maris Otter malt and a dash of crystal. and I used Wyeast 1968 and London Ale III 1318

Hmmmmm. I used Target 9.5AA for bittering and and maybe 2oz for flavor and aroma of Northdown at 8.5AA Can you explain AA and why it would slow the conditioning process?

Try using a lower aa hop like kent goldings - the high aa hops may be hindering the malty marris otter - thus you are only getting that flavor when the hops have subsided.

Back